Seminar can help prevent cancer risk

By Heather Horton/reporter

South Campus health services will kick off Breast Cancer Awareness Month with a keynote speaker Oct. 9.

Dr. Robyn Young, medical director of the Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders in Fort Worth, will provide tips on how to prevent or lower one’s risk of developing this particular type of cancer.

“She is very proactive in going out and speaking on breast cancer prevention and awareness,” said South health services coordinator Tina Ingram.

Ingram said the doctor is hands-on in working with her patients and skilled at walking each patient through the process from diagnosis to treatment to healing.

“We want to promote awareness and prevention issues for our campus and community at large,” she said.

The 30-minute interactive program will be followed by a question-and-answer session. Ingram encourages participants to come prepared with questions on this topic.

The event will be noon-1 p.m. in the SSTU Forum Room. Participants who RSVP by Oct. 7 will receive a free box lunch, provided by Young.

To register, students can call health services at 817-515-4531 or send an email to tina.ingram@tccd.edu for more information.