Techno talk: New gadgets launching for technophiles

By Tracey Austin/reporter

With 2006 now here, what possibly could be the next tech craze trailing the hits of XBOX 360, MP3 players, iPods and video camera phones?
   PlayStation 3 may be the hot item when it is launched this spring, perhaps as early as March. With a console approximately 13.5 inches in length and 3.5 inches wide, it can play PlayStation 1 and 2 game disks.
   Rumor has it that the console is twice as powerful as the new XBOX 360 and 15 times more powerful than the Nintendo Revolution. Just like XBOX Live, PlayStation will have an online gaming experience.
   The Nintendo Revolution will be only about three times more powerful than the GameCube. This console will bring back old school games such as Donkey Kong.
   Just like PlayStation and XBOX, Nintendo will also have an online gaming source. The new Revolution is set to release mid year.
   Students on campus like Meghan O’Gorman, NE Campus, are already on the new technology for 2006 train. For anyone walking around campus, it is hard to miss all the students listening to music on their iPods.
   “ I love the iPod,” she said. “It’s like having your own personal radio to listen to what you want.”
   O’Gorman also likes the convenience of having a converter in the car.
   “ The converter makes it so much easier when driving,” she said. “You don’t have to flip through all your CDs.”
   The latest addition to the iPod family is the Video iPod, which is similar to the regular ipod. But this one is capable of playing videos and movies.
   “ I love watching Kill Bill Vol. 1 on my iPod,” NE student Corey Martin said.
   Another addition to hand-held consoles such as Game Boy is the Sony PSP. With its slim 6.7-by-2.9-inch frame, PSP can best be described as a mini PlayStation. In addition to playing video games, users can also store digital photos, watch videos or movies and play music.
   One thing that is hard to miss around campus or anywhere is the cell phone. From camera phones, video phones, light up phones, NE student Kristen Bostick likes the caller ID and speakerphone features.
   “ You can be hands free without the earpiece,” she said.
   SK Telekom, a phone operator from Korea, has developed an electronic picture frame that will communicate with a phone. All one has to do is take a picture with the phone, then upload the picture to the frame by dialing *7777.
   The frame will need to be near or connected to the home network. No word on when this item will be released.
   To help consumers stand out in the crowd, Dolce & Gabbana is set to sell a fully gold-plated Motorola RAZR V3i.
   Sold exclusively through Dolce & Gabbana shops worldwide, this phone will feature Apple’s iTunes software, a large color screen, Bluetooth wireless technology, a digital camera with full-screen view, zoom, video capture and playback. But only 1,000 were made worldwide.
   However, the phone may not be manly enough for NE student Eric Mendez.
   “ The RAZR seem more like a girl thing ’cause all I’ve seen are girls with them,” he said. “As for it being gold, I personally would not buy just because it is gold.”