Comedy to end South theater season

Phillip Creer plays Froggy, who is standing over Aaron Plaskonos, who stars as Charlie, in the South Campus comedy The Foreigner, which runs April 26-28 in the Carillon Theatre. Performances are each night at 7:30.  Photo by Patrick Cusack/The Collegian
Phillip Creer plays Froggy, who is standing over Aaron Plaskonos, who stars as Charlie, in the South Campus comedy The Foreigner, which runs April 26-28 in the Carillon Theatre. Performances are each night at 7:30. Photo by Patrick Cusack/The Collegian

By Isaiah Smith/entertainment editor

A comedy of deception ends the South Campus drama season next week.

The Foreigner, a play by Larry Shue, follows a group of devious characters as they interact with a man they believe knows no English.

“ It’s a very funny play, and there’s lots of different themes and ideas behind it,” Jason Morgan, director of the play, said.

“ The main character is named Charlie [played by Aaron Plaskonos]; he’s let society define who he is,” he said.

After receiving some shocking news, Charlie goes on a trip with a friend who leaves him at a cabin to gather his thoughts.

His friend tells the owner of the cabin, and everyone else, that Charlie cannot speak English.

“ It’s really a crowd-pleasing play,” Morgan said.

“ You’re not a community theater until you’ve done this play … lots of running in and out of doors, slapstick-stuff, mistaken identities,” he said.

Whitney Fawcett, who plays Catherine Simms, found the play both deep and humorous.

“ I think the play is a comedy, but it’s got a lot of issues that are very interesting and important even today: racial issues, religious issues,” she said.

They are put in a funny context so that the audience can relate to them,” Fawcett said.

Cody Whitten, who plays the Rev. David Marshall Lee, finds the play a fun, ensemble piece.

“ There’s so much excitement going on in the play; it’s hard to pinpoint what it’s about,” he said.

Whitten said the interaction between characters is especially funny.

“ Two guys come in. There are twists and turns along the road with what he [Charlie] knows and what we think he knows,” he said. “It’s a non-stop laugh riot. I burst out laughing three or four times just reading the thing.”

Skye Owens, who plays Ellard Simms, anticipates the audience’s reaction.

“ I don’t know if we’ve ever done anything as controversial as this, but I think they’re really going to like it if they pay attention to everything,” she said.

Morgan is pleased with the results of rehearsals.

“ The cast is doing well,” he said. “It should be a really good show.”

The Foreigner will run April 26-28, 7:30-10 p.m., in the Carillon Theatre. Reservations are not required, but no late seating is allowed. TCC students, staff and faculty get in for free; general admission is $6, and other students and seniors get in for $3.