Dating game 101: give us some rules

By Keisha McDuffie/reporter

I know this is an age-old question, with no right or wrong answer.

However, as the question becomes more prevalent in my own life, I can’t help but wonder … do guys really wish women would make the first move?

Sincerely, I mean, even if they’re not the painfully shy type. A few of my close guy friends, who are painfully shy, have told me they would rather die than make the first move, so I should just “go for it.”

Whether they were dancing around my feelings I don’t know. I do know I have never gone out with any of these shy souls.

How does one go about deciding where a guy stands?

Obviously, there is no full-proof method yet we should have a way to narrow the decision making down.

Maybe we need a checklist to really determine if the guy is shy or not interested. Or perhaps a multiple-choice quiz.

Is he not making small talk with me because a) he is just not interested, b) he’s too shy, c) I don’t seem interested, or d) I appear unapproachable.

I am not too quick to judge a book by its cover, or in this case a guy by his blue jeans (or adorable hat and sweater). I consider myself a rather open-minded, understanding can-relate person.

So it never dawned on me that I could be exuding “do not approach” vibes.

Therefore, when a close friend told me what I thought was such a far-fetched possibility, I was appalled. That was until he explained how the average male onlooker might see me.

Huh?

Spoken for, confident, on a mission, knows what she wants? All from holding my head up and my shoulders back?

Really? On a mission?

Yeah on a mission not to fall face first into the feet of this really blessed creature. Yes, for a klutz like myself this takes concentration!

I don’t know if there is a universal right answer to such a question, or if it varies from individual to individual.

But I do know that a little more holding my head up and a little more eye contact isn’t a bad start … especially when I am already faking it better than I could ever really make it.

Only a date will tell. Wish me luck!