Serving the Tarrant County College District

Child care program helps TCC students

Markus+Spiske%2FUnsplash
Markus Spiske/Unsplash

KEYLA HOLMES
keyla.holmes@my.tccd.edu

For students seeking childcare services, finding the right fit can pose a challenge, especially for those who may not be able to afford the expensive rates many centers charge.  

The TCC Child Care Assistance Program supports students by providing financial support and other services to those in need of them.  

TR student Taniya Harbour-Jones, a relatively new member of the program, has a 4 month old daughter. She said the program is a life saver. 

“I do not live with my parents so I must work in addition to school,” Jones said. “My family just lives too far away for them to provide consistent childcare, so we for sure needed to have her in a childcare facility.”  

Coordinator of Child Care Assistance Karen Hutto said the program seeks to help students in any way it can.  

“We are able to provide them with tuition assistance, child care centers that are pre approved, and our grant does require us to use accredited child care centers,” Hutto said. “Once we approve a student we send them the approved list and then they can select off of that list the ones that might be convenient to them.”  

Hutto said the program’s mission is assisting college students so they can stay in school. Those interested in applying must be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours. For more information regarding the program’s mission, eligibility requirements, financial assistance and access to an online application, students can visit the TCC Child Care Assistance Program webpage.   

NE student Lillian Wright said she learned about the program through the school’s website, called, and was prompted to apply.  

She said the program gives her some peace of mind, relieving the stress of childcare. 

“I was unable to afford the cost of daycare alone and I am able to go to my classes knowing my daughter is well taken care of.”  

Wright is a single mom. She has 2 kids, works full time and is a full time student. She said balancing it all gives her a great outlook on time management.  

“One day, I hope it reflects highly on my kids as they grow,” Wright said. “No matter the direction life takes them there’s always someone there to help, even when they don’t think so.”  

Hutto said informing students about the program is important. 

“Some students may be paying for childcare right now because they don’t even know about the program,” she said. “Childcare is very expensive so if we can assist in any way we want to be able to do that.” 

She said there’s not a limit on how many children the program can accept.  

“We’re just trying to spend down our money because it’s a great program and we want it to be successful.” 

Jones said what her advice is for students who may feel anxious about seeking childcare. 

“It’s completely understandable and for a while, even when you find childcare, it doesn’t go away,” she said. “Now there are people you don’t even know that you trust with your babies, but the centers under the Child Care Assistance Program are very professional. At the center we’ve chosen they genuinely enjoy the children and care.”  

Jones also advises students to look into what may be offered. 

“Really take advantage of the resources that they have for us here because they truly do care about our success and it can really help ease some of the pressure.”