America is not ready for gay leadership

November 13, 2019 | Dang Le | campus editor

When voting for president, Americans believe they should vote for the one with the best policies regardless of race, religion, orientation or gender.

Unfortunately, the reality is harsh.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg from South Bend, Indiana is running for president as an openly gay man.

After his debate performance last month, Buttigieg rose to the top four candidates at 7% according to national polling data. However, most of his numbers come from old, white voters.

Buttigieg’s campaign staff recently commented that his sexuality is hurting him. While the statement is bold, it does not come out of the blue.

Although it is not popular to admit, some of the black demographic can be more conservative than white liberals, no matter their political party.

The U.S. tried 43 times to elect a light-skinned president. The minute they had their 44th chance, they turned to a old, white billionaire.

While that doesn’t mean we can not elect a white man or have to vote for a minority, the state of our country right now hasn’t changed in terms of embracing minorities despite what the media has been pushing.

For young voters, Buttigieg can never compare to Sen. Bernie Sanders who wants to remove student debts.

Based on a UCLA report, one out of five LGBT adults are not registered to vote. As an openly gay candidate, Buttigieg cannot even motivate gay voters.

The Democratic Party is trying to prop Biden up because they believe a white, moderate male candidate will appeal to undecided voters. Democrats are afraid Trump and Republicans will use Buttigieg’s sexuality against him.

The status quo against electing a minority has to stop. However, in Buttigieg’s case, the black community is not voting, the young voters are not embracing, the gay community is not supporting and the Democratic Party will not choose him.

Buttigieg is a smart man with a bright future. His run has opened doors for him to gain more recognition to run for Congress in the future. However, at this moment, America is simply not ready for an openly gay president.