Delays can result in better entertainment

October 30, 2019 | Juan Ibarra | editor-in-chief

When someone is excited about the newest movie or video game, it can be disappointing to wait longer than originally anticipated.

It was recently announced that the eagerly anticipated video game The Last of Us Part II would not be ready by its original February release date and would have to be delayed until May.

Some online fans take this information and use it as ammunition to blast a development team for poor management. However, if a project has to be delayed for reasons outside of a development team’s control, it shouldn’t be a big deal.

It is a tough decision to change the release date, and normally that means that it just isn’t ready to be released to the public. No production team ever wants to hold a product back just for the fun of holding it back, especially if they’re proud of it.

Deciding to hold a project back is usually done as a way to give the team more time to increase the value of the product and to ensure that the public’s first impression of their product is a positive one.

On the set of Netflix’s live action adaptation of “Cowboy Bebop,” actor John Cho was injured which led to the delay of production for seven to eight months.

In this situation, there was no other option than to push back production if one of the main stars is unable to perform to the best of their ability.

Kanye’s latest album “Jesus is King” was originally planned to release September and then November 2018 eventually settling on October 2019. He delayed it to try and make it a product he was proud of.

There are users on social media who believe they’re owed a product and use an incident as a way to complain about not getting the product soon enough.

Sometimes great projects need time to develop into something worth waiting for. It may be annoying to wait a few extra months, but those few months could be the difference between a sub-par product and a great one.