Drama class makes full return to in-person

Actors Kate Shugart and Toni Colbert practicing for SE drama’s upcoming play “Trifles.” The performances will be March 2 through 4 at 7:30 p.m. Alex Hoben/The Collegian
Actors Kate Shugart and Toni Colbert practicing for SE drama’s upcoming play “Trifles.” The performances will be March 2 through 4 at 7:30 p.m.
Alex Hoben/The Collegian

JUAN SALINAS II
juan.salinas465@my.tccd.edu

SE drama will have its first production of the semester, “Trifles” and “Laundry and Bourbon,” Mar. 2 through Mar. 4. The admission is any amount a person can pay, and all the proceeds will benefit the drama scholarships fund. The performances will begin at 7:30 p.m. in the C.A. Roberson Theater, but the box office will open one hour before. 

Both plays will be happening all in the same night with an intermission in between. 

“One interesting thing to note is that, before the pandemic, this is our first time bringing back the class to officially produce a play,” said Angela Inman, SE associate professor of drama and director of “Trifles.” “So it has been interesting to do under these conditions.”

The theater will only allow 50% capacity and will have a modified box office. 

Inman has expressed that there were a lot of challenges but is excited to teach students new to theater. 

“Trifles” is loosely based on the murder of John Hossack, which Susan Glaspell, a reporter, covered and initially was convinced that Mrs. Hossack was guilty until she spent time in Hossack’s farmhouse. 

“It is important to remember that this crime occurred at a time when women were considered ‘second class citizens,’ expected to be subservient and obedient to their husbands even under abusive conditions,’’ Inman said. “The notion that an all-male jury displayed little sympathy for the years of abuse Mrs. Hossack had suffered at the hands of her husband and was unsettling for Glaspell.” 

Glaspell later wrote “Trifles” to call attention to the inherent callousness toward women in the early 1900s legal system and society in general.

Actor Ethan Melendez had to deal with a transition from himself to the misogynistic character that is attorney George Henderson. 

“It’s definitely not like me at all,” Melendez said. “I kinda expected that I’m going to be [sexist] since it was set in the 1910s. That was back when most men weren’t very respectful toward women or to anyone unless they had that high status of power.” 

This will be actor Kate Shugart’s first college-level play. 

“At my high school, I didn’t even have a stage, so I feel like I finally get my chance to test my acting abilities,” Shugart said. 

The final play of the night will be “Laundry and Bourbon.” 

Actor Lily Clouse, who was interviewed last semester for her role in “Almost, Maine,” explains that “Laundry and Bourbon” is about Elizabeth dealing with the trauma of her husband coming back from Vietnam. 

“I think the main thing I like about theater is the friends I made along the way,” she said. “The kind of bonds you make with the cast of a show is something that is very special to the theater.” 

Actor Camila Vidales has been doing theater most of her life and started her acting career at a young age. She has been in commercials and has been on a season of the kids TV show “Barney” at the age of 6. 

“I really like how the play touches into the subject of mental illness and PTSD back in the 70s where it was a lot more taboo than it is now,” she said.

Vidales appreciates how “Laundry and Bourbon” includes everyone’s perspectives that might be affected by someone dealing with mental issues. 

SE student Emanuel Omweri is the stage manager. 

“Right now, my job is pretty enjoyable,” he said. “I just get to watch these two lovely people do what they love, which is acting and performing, and everything is looking like it’s going to be pretty good.”