Dyeing of fun

Samara Palacios and Alyssa Aguilars
Samara Palacios laughs at Alyssa Aguilars died covered arm at the South campus tie dye event

RABBIA MOLAI
managing editor
rabbia.molai@my.tccd.edu

On Aug. 24, TCC’s South Campus student activities center had a very creative event as a part of their welcome week.

The center chose to kick-start the fall semester with a tie-dye party. The event was held outside on their patio area and was complete with snacks, music and tie-dye kits for all the attendees.

Coordinator of student activities Ana Contreras was very excited to see the turnout for the event. 

“I think it builds community, you know,” Contreras said.  “It gets students involved and to do something in between class, something outside of the classroom that’s fun and engaging.”

She also mentioned the importance of events like these giving students the opportunity to see what resources they have on campus.

“They get to learn about our office and what we do and what we offer,” said Contreras.

One of the main things that Contreras was excited about was the fact that the event was primarily student-led and organized. She said she felt that getting student workers to come up with both the ideas and execution for the event not only boosted student involvement but also made the events more relatable.

South Campus student Haley Brant is a peer mentor for the student activities center and was one of the students a part of the team who planned and worked the event. She explained how the preparations for the event began during the summer so seeing the final product meant a lot to her.

“We’re getting a lot of people coming through here so I’m glad we went through with it,” Brant said.

Brant was also excited for students to see their peers as the ones leading the event, stating that having a familiar face to look up to was the best way to bring in more students and increase their involvement.

Along with Brant, fellow peer mentor Jacob Nunez was thrilled to be able to see their hard work pay off and looked forward to continuing to make these events as special for the students as possible.

“I wasn’t expecting this many people to show up, but we’re all interacting, having fun and making memories,” Nunez said.