Editorial-Earth’s dying. What can be done to help?

Amber Davis/The Collegian

Climate change is easily one of the biggest problems we are facing today.

On the West Coast, firefighters are fighting some of the worst wildfires ever seen in the U.S. that have already claimed the lives of 35 people and burned across three states. In the Southeast, hurricanes are hitting the Texas, Louisiana and Florida coasts tearing apart communities and leaving thousands displaced.

Americans are divided. Some debate if climate change is even real. Meanwhile, temperatures increase, natural disasters worsen and oceans rise. What is it going to take for us to wake up to the global disaster that we are facing at this very moment?

We should be taking steps to prevent the further escalation of global warming.

TCC has taken many steps to set examples for how students should handle sustainability, which includes more efficient recycling programs, reducing the district’s water and energy use, and designing more energy-efficient campuses. 

However, there is something more TCC could be doing to lessen its environmental footprint. TCC could make the switch to renewable energy sources like solar panels to cut district energy consumption down to zero.

During the pandemic, students attend classes remotely. Since separated, we each have the responsibility to pay attention to how our actions affect the environment, and ultimately, our future.

As world citizens, we have the obligation to become aware of our environmental footprint and take the necessary steps to prevent further environmental damage. 

This can be done in many different ways—by setting limits on how much energy used daily and unplugging appliances and electronics when they are not in use. Or even turning out the lights when not being used.

To reduce water consumption, limit shower times, and only wash loads of clothes and dishes when your washer is full to conserve water. Take steps to cut plastic and styrofoam out of your life and find new creative ways to reuse old boxes or plastic containers instead of just throwing them out. 

Pay attention to the weather before using fertilizer on your lawn to reduce the risk of fertilizer runoff into waterways.

As citizens, we also have the obligation to pay attention to the country’s environmental policies that affect our nation’s footprint. We could put pressure on our elected officials to create and adopt policies like the Green New Deal which limit fossil fuels and begin progressive initiatives to save the environment from irreversible damage. 

The Green New Deal would not only cut greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 but also create millions of jobs fueling our economy. Thus creating a more sustainable economy. The Green New Deal is a bold sustainability initiative that would tackle the crises of climate change and inequality. It’s a win-win for everyone.

Now more than ever, we need to stand up for the environment because it is our planet, our home and our future that will ultimately be impacted by climate change.