‘Metroid Prime Remastered’ is a space odyssey

The player character, the bounty hunter Samus Aran, stands armored up and prepared for her mission with her Power Beam cannon readied. Photo courtesy of Nintendo
The player character, the bounty hunter Samus Aran, stands armored up and prepared for her mission with her Power Beam cannon readied.
Photo courtesy of Nintendo

XAVIER BOATNER
xavier.boatner@my.tccd.edu

After 20 years, Nintendo’s universally-acclaimed “Metroid Prime” has been given a fresh coat of paint for a new generation.

On Feb. 8, Nintendo simultaneously announced and released the long-rumored and highly-anticipated “Metroid Prime Remastered” during one of their “Nintendo Direct” online presentations. The game was available to purchase after the presentation for only $39.99. A breath of fresh air from Nintendo’s usual $59.99 asking price.

The remaster’s release was a huge surprise and a huge hit with Nintendo and Metroid fans alike. Many people online have said the announcement was one of, if not the best part of, the entire presentation.

After sinking time into exploring every nook and cranny of the game’s multiple alien biomes, and learning about the history of ruins of a once prosperous alien civilization, it’s easy to understand why the game received so much praise – both then and now.

The leading lady is Samus Aran, a silent but deadly intergalactic bounty hunter suited in the usual intergalactic bounty hunter getup. She’s got an arm cannon, rockets, bombs and a visor she can use to scan environments for extensive knowledge on either an exotic alien scarab or an elevator

Controlling the bounty hunter is a mostly intuitive process. The game is played from a first-person point of view, and it’s the player’s job to gun down lethal otherworldly creatures and scan things to obtain information on their surroundings. 

The act of shooting, scanning and searching is the name of the game and it’s a blast, save for some small complaints. 

Shooting is fun, but Samus can only fire a handful of projectiles at a time even if the button is pressed throughout the duration of a combat encounter. 

Similarly, the lock-on system requires players to press the lock-on button again after an enemy is destroyed in order to refocus on another instead of just automatically locking onto the next so long as the button is held.

Scanning for information is probably the most tedious thing since individual points of interest must be scanned one by one. It’s novel at first but ends up breaking the flow the most. Perhaps having the information show up within range without having to scan everything would’ve helped maintain the game’s moment-to-moment action.

While these gripes aren’t deal breakers and don’t drag the game down, they could’ve definitely used a touch-up in some way. That being said, the game is still a fun time.

The sense of exploration is great and the areas players explore are dense and detailed. There are countless alien species to discover and dispose of and various biomes across the game map. It’s a beautiful game as well, with a lovely revamped art style that makes the world feel alive and lived in.

The sounds can range from ambient and atmospheric to alien and intense at the drop of a hat, and it adds a lot to the game’s atmosphere. It’s a visual and auditory treat that creates a sense of dread and adventure that makes the game feel unmistakably “Metroid.” 

Never before has a game captured the exaggerated swagger of an imposing, 6-foot-tall, blonde, mute intergalactic bounty hunter until now.

There are a few hiccups along the way, but overall “Metroid Prime Remastered” is a faithful and high-quality modernization of one of Nintendo’s most iconic games. It’s not perfect, but it was and is definitely one of the best first-person alien bounty hunter-type games ever made.