Read-In focuses on black migration, urban culture

By Krissia Palomo/reporter

SE Campus will host a National African American Read-In event at 11 a.m. Feb 25 in the Roberson Theatre. This year’s event theme is “Black Migrations,” which focuses on the culture and influence brought by African-Americans to urban cities.

National African American Read-In events are sponsored by the National Council of Teachers of English, also known as NCTE. According to NCTE.org, the Read-In was established in 1990 to incorporate literacy into Black History Month.

Vice President of Student Affairs, Zena Jackson, said the event is meant to spotlight the works of African-American creatives that would otherwise go unknown such as poets, authors, writers, musicians and dancers.

Fusion Dance Company is set to perform. The SE Campus group is under the direction of dance associate professor Brandy Niccolai-Belfi. They will perform a seven-minute dance to three different songs.

“These songs were chosen to represent early times and experiences within the African-American community,” Niccolai-Belfi said. “We are not trying to embody or re-enact the past but rather give insight into the music and physical movement from earlier times.”

African American Read-Ins are hosted all over the globe and have reached nearly 6 million students.