Renovation plan causes mixed reactions

November 20, 2019 | Juan Ibarra | editor-in-chief
Collegian File Photo. Based on TCC’s bond proposition plan, SE Campus will receive $125 million for future renovations. The amount of money provokes different reactions ranging from enthusiastic approval to questioning the importance of the impending investment into the campus.

SE Campus is one of the sites of major changes according to TCC’s bond proposition plan, and although people are mostly positive about the renovations, some aren’t too keen on the idea.

Approximately $125 million is planned on being spent toward the SE renovations. The changes include expanding the school with two new buildings and an extra parking lot while improving any outdated classrooms to fit a more modern educational environment.

“We’ll be better able to serve our students by increasing the number of classrooms and student spaces to meet the growing population of our campus,” SE President Bill Coppola said.

SE student Cory Iles said he thinks a change is good for the campus as long as it is positive and helps students.

“I don’t take classes in the morning, but back when I did, it used to be very cluttered,” Iles said.

On the list of improvements for the campus, the crowded hallways were highlighted as an area in need of change.

SE adjunct psychology instructor Donald Walker said he was happy for the improvements and looks forward to seeing them implemented.

“I believe that it is very beneficial that we serve the students, faculty and staff,” he said.

Walker said he hopes these changes help make things more ergonomic and efficient, although he was unsure, yet optimistic on the modernized classrooms.

“I haven’t had any complaints thus far, but I would love to see what they could do to modernize them further,” Walker said.

Not everyone was overly positive on the plans. SE student Faiza Yasin was indifferent to the issues of overcrowding and parking.

“The only change I care about would be child care on campus,” Yasin said.

She explained that some campuses have childcare available, and SE would benefit from the addition.

SE student development assistant Nash Qashou, who previously attended classes on SE and graduated in May, said he didn’t understand the need for expansion.

“It was crowded, but it never really bothered me,” Qashou said.

Several students felt they weren’t informed enough on the subject when asked to comment and were unaware changes were being discussed.

The renovations for SE, as well as the rest of the district, are set to take place through 2024.