Romero gives TR students insight into Constitution

By SanJuana Ramirez/ reporter

Anybody can be a winner, state Rep. Ramon Romero told TR students Sept. 14 to kick off the campus’ Hispanic Heritage Month celebrations.

Romero, the first Latino ever elected in Tarrant County, serves the 90th district and visited TR Campus to speak about Constitution Day.

Texas Rep. Ramon Romero
Texas Rep. Ramon Romero

Romero discussed how some presidential candidates have wanted to end or examine the 14th Amendment about birthright citizenship and the effect that would have on many people.

“I personally don’t think we should change the Constitution and start tearing these families apart,” he said.

Romero said his father came from Zacatecas, Mexico, to work on a farm in the United States. He said that if the 14th Amendment had not been in place, he would not be considered a U.S. citizen and could not have run for office. However, Romero said, the U.S. needs comprehensive immigration laws.

He said on Constitution Day, Americans should celebrate their diversity.

“Today, why not reflect on how America was founded by all those groups that came from all those parts of the world?” he said. “Hope is what Obama ran on, and he is our president today.”

Romero talked about what hope means for America.

“Has hope been delivered? Do we find ourselves inspired by the future or in some cases finding ourselves hopeless?” he asked the students.

Romero told students to take responsibility to defend the Constitution.

Everyone is here to contribute to America, he said, telling students about how they should envision their country or their hometown.

“The Constitution means a lot to me,” he said. “Let’s make sure we are doing our part that will help those that are oppressed today and that need our help.”