Students, faculty face difficulties in adapting to online courses

April 1, 2020 | Jacob Williams | reporter

Due to COVID-19, students and teachers at TCC, like many around the world, have had to adjust to switching to online classes for the rest of the semester.

TCC students just two weeks ago left campus heading into spring break to enjoy their time off. Returning 10 days later, they adapted to taking their in-class courses online.

NW student Cameron Smith said he has no experience with digital coursework, so it will take him time to get used to the platform.

“I am kind of nervous having to learn it on the spot because of this crazy pandemic happening,” he said.

Smith said he feels like this will give him more experience and help him know if he is capable of taking more online courses in the future.

Students face difficulties in their learning environment at home that make it hard to take online classes.

“My house is not suitable for online courses because sometimes noise makes it hard to focus,” TR student Miranda Houston said. “My biggest struggle is staying home since we can’t go anywhere like the school library to get things done.”

However, Houston thinks switching to online on the spot will help students in the future.

“We are having to think outside of the box for some of our assignments to succeed for the rest of the semester,” she said.

Teachers are under pressure to prepare a new instruction method while giving students the best experience possible. Some instructors are used to being in the classroom and
interacting with students face-to-face.

TR American Sign Language instructor Cheryl Sohns says this will be a huge obstacle.

“The biggest challenge for me with classes being switched to online is not having a lot of time to prepare a different style of teaching,” Sohns said.

While it’s difficult for her and other teachers to change their approach to teaching on the spot, Sohn’s main goal is for students to learn the material to move forward to the next semester.

“We want to still help students learn like we are in the classroom,” she said.