Students reflect on move to virtual classroom caused by Covid-19

Tristen Richter
reporter

This semester has been another challenging one. The struggles of COVID-19 have changed the everyday lives of students who would normally attend in-person classes.

SE student Johnny Nguyen described the situation as life-changing, and one that students should take more seriously.

“What got us here in the first place is that people did not want to listen and heed the warnings of health experts and officials,” he said.

The way things are looking now, at the rate COVID-19 continues to spread across the country, things will not go back to normal anytime soon, he said.

Nguyen said the online transition was particularly difficult for him because he is learning music. 

“It was a very difficult change to adapt to, especially in classes where it is an ensemble,” he said. “But everything else was just like playing for a recording that you would send in to a director for different assignments that you would have to do.”

SE student Jared Hamilton said the change has been difficult, but believes college is not meant to be easy.

“If it would have been easy, they would not have us paying for the classes,” Hamilton said.

Having to adapt to this new style of learning demonstrates the dedication of faculty, staff and students, he said.

“When working with the teachers over this new method, a lot of them are a lot more consistent with trying to keep the same teaching style going, even though the rest of the class is completely different,” he said.