Students respond to concerns regarding Halloween treats

Xavier Boatner
xavier.boatner@my.tccd.edu

TCC students have spoken about the legitimacy of drugged candy and its effect on trick-or-treaters.

On Aug. 30, the Drug Enforcement Administration warned people of a surge in multi-colored fentanyl pills and powder spreading across the United States. According to the DEA, rainbow fentanyl has been adopted by drug cartels with the intent of targeting young citizens – igniting the fear of tainted Halloween candy.

NE student Jacob Chehati said kids will be aware of how to handle potentially tainted candy.

“Most kids already talked about drugs in school and how to avoid them,” Chehati said. “If parents are worried about it, then I think they should educate their kids on how to look for unsealed packages.”

Chehati said he thinks kids ending up with drugged Halloween sweets isn’t likely, but parents should still be wary.

“Most people aren’t going to think to put drugs inside of candy, usually because drugs are too expensive,” Chehati said.

NE student Jonathan Diaz said he believes it is unlikely that drug users would lace children’s candy.

“Ever since we were kids, there were people talking about other people lacing candy with drugs,” Diaz said. “But drugs are really expensive. If someone’s doing drugs I don’t think they’d waste those drugs to lace candy for children.”

Diaz said the talk surrounding the laced candy has impacted people’s perception of the topic.

“I think it makes you think that it’s a bigger deal than it actually is in the real world,” Diaz said. “When I was a kid and the cops showed up and talked to us at school, I always thought saying no to drug dealers on the side of the road would be a much bigger part of my life. I’ve yet to see a single drug dealer on the side of the road in my life.”

Diaz said the concerns shouldn’t stop people from celebrating Halloween.

“Kids should still go trick-or-treating,” Diaz said. “However, I think kids should be with their parents when they go – or a responsible adult or older teenager.”

Lacing candy wouldn’t have a major impact on trick-or-treaters, Diaz said.

“If someone did do it, I mean, if you’re trying to get someone addicted to drugs, I don’t think lacing candy will do anything,” Diaz said. “They’re kids, they don’t know how or where to find drugs or a drug dealer.”

“I don’t think parents should worry about drugged candy now that I’m here thinking about it,” NE student Khari Pollum said.

Pollum said he couldn’t understand why someone would hand out drugged candy to children. Despite this, he believes that trick-or-treaters should remain cautious of unsealed snacks.

“It shouldn’t stop anyone from going out and having fun,” Pollum said.