Racquetball skills taught in NE clinic

Dave Ragsdale, former state champion in racquetball, leads a skills clinic for students on NE Campus April 12 in the gym.  Photo by Brandon Tompkins/The Collegian
Dave Ragsdale, former state champion in racquetball, leads a skills clinic for students on NE Campus April 12 in the gym. Photo by Brandon Tompkins/The Collegian

By John Garces/sports editor

NE students learned the finer points of racquetball from a professional as part of the NE Campus racquetball clinic last Friday.

Dave Ragsdale, a teaching pro and former Texas state champion in the sport, brought his experience to the campus to give a skills clinic to the students who were familiar with the sport and to teach the game to beginners.

“I’m trying to get people more involved in the sport, from the junior clubs to the high school and collegiate level, and get people’s interest back in the sport,” he said.

Jose Rodriguez, Tony Luscri and Anthony Kahaly also got the opportunity to trade points with Ragsdale in an effort to apply the skills and technique they had been taught.

“It was intimidating playing with him, because he’s a pro,” Luscri said. “The one thing I learned from playing with him is patience, patience, patience,” he said.