Serving the Tarrant County College District

Errors create laughter in SE play

By Marley Malenfant/feature editor

SE Campus is taking a page from a Shakespearean play March 3-5.

Drama students Stephanie Henry (Adriana) and Taylor Swift (Luciana) rehearse outside. The SE Campus drama department will present Shakespeare’s Comedy of Errors outdoors.
Casey Holder/The Collegian

Comedy of Errors focuses on Egeon, a merchant sentenced to death in Ephesus for violating the law against travel between two rival cities. Egeon talks himself out of execution when he tells Duke Solinus that he has come to Syracuse in search of his wife and one of his twin sons, who were separated from him 25 years earlier in a shipwreck. The other twin, who grew up with Egeon, is also traveling the world in search of the missing half of the family.

SE student Ryan Davila plays Antipholus of Syracuse, one of the twins. Davila said his character is adventurous.

“He’s in search of his long-lost brother, and he travels with his servant Dromio,” he said. “I’ve been going from city to city, country to country searching for my brother.”

Before Davila auditioned for Antipholus, he checked the character’s background and said the role fits his personality.

“He (Director John Dement) cast us to what our personalities are,” he said. “It’s a very fun role. I do well in comedies, and I find it very easy to do them.”

SE student James Sabolchick plays the unmerciful Duke Solinus.

“I’m the lord of the town of Ephesus,” he said. “Everybody reports to him. He takes care of everyone’s needs.”

SE student Stephanie Henry plays Adriana, the drama-queen wife of Antipholus. This is Henry’s first leading role in a Shakespearean play.

“She jumps to conclusions when her husband disappears. She thinks that her husband is cheating on her,” Henry said. “She and her sister Luciana try to go search for him.

“And everybody hates me. They don’t like me. They think I’m a bitch. Later, Adriana discovers her husband is a twin, and she has been with the other twin instead of her husband.”

Henry said she and her character have similar characteristics.

“The character kind of matches me a bit because I can be a drama queen,” she said. “We both can be bitchy at times. But I’m more of a comedy person, and I like to have fun.”

SE student Taylor Swift plays Luciana, the unmarried sister of Adriana. She said, unlike her sister, she has a voice of reason.

“I become Antipholus of Syracuse’s love interest,” she said. “I say one sentence and get my point across completely. She’s very trusting and wants to help people.

“This is the role I tried out for, and I’m glad I got it.”

Comedy of Errors runs 8 p.m. March 3, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. March 4-5 outside between the main building and the science building. The play is free for TCC students and faculty, $6 for general admission and $3 for seniors and non-TCC students. For reservations, call 817-515-3599.