Review-Crime does pay in new comedy series

Malik Giles

Maddie Phillips and Anjelica Bette Fellini team up with industry veteran Kadeem Hardison in a new Netflix comedy series, Teenage Bounty Hunters. Photo by Netfleix

To enjoy the brief unrealistic, dramatic comedy that this show has to offer, one must suspend disbelief.The show is literally called “Teenage Bounty Hunters,” something that has not been seen before. A lot of events and portrayals happen in this show differ from everyday life.  

The show starts off with the two main protagonists, Sterling and Blair, who are female fraternal twins. The two wrecked their father’s truck, leading them to a bounty hunter named Bowser who gives them bounty hunting jobs to get them the money to fix the truck. 

The premise sounds a bit creepy and unusual, but as the show progresses, it gets funny and interesting. 

Every conversation, there’s either a joke or a one-liner that helps softens the mood in serious moments. For instance, the opening scene has Sterling and her boyfriend, Luke, having sex for the first time. The moment was gross and weird, but the witty conversation  humor of Luke being nervous and second-guessing the situation made the scene more hilarious.  

The sisters try balancing teen life and school with an unlikely ca-
reer to retrieve their father’s truck which was impounded. Photo by Netflix

Throughout the show, the creators tried to get viewers to realize that not every high school student is ideal. Take Sterling. She becomes the leader of her Christian class in her private school and has good grades, yet she has sex with her boyfriend more than once in the show.  

Her counterpart, on the other hand, Blair, is the ideal high school rebel. She praises protesters such as the ones that vandalize Confederate statues. She differs from everyday society norms. For example, her parents are Republicans, and she dates a black kid whose parents are Democrats. 

The show has plot twists from big to small, and at the end, there’s one that contradicts the protagonists’ family as a whole. It puts a cliffhanger at the end of the season.   

This type of show has the characters progress the story.  The characters are funny in their own type of way, and the actors portrayed them well. Kadeem Hardison’s portrayal of Bower Simmons, a middle-aged, angry bounty hunter, is what pulls the audience in. At first, one may think “stranger danger,” like the girls did the first time they got in the car with Bowser, but his witty quips and intellect made this work. 

This show is something to watch to blow away time. It is not really deep and dramatic but funny and interesting. It is worth watching during this quarantine.