Program aims to assist students of color

CONSUELLA RAYNOR
reporter
collegian.editor@tccd.edu

Inspiring, togetherness and development are three words to describe the Men of Color Collaborative program, which aims to increase opportunities and achievements for all students. 

Larry Jefferson, SE Campus coordinator of intercultural student engagement and academic success, said MCC displays the inspiring impact that Hispanic and Black males have on one another. The family-style bond and friendships formed among the students demonstrate the program’s togetherness, he said. Developing life skills shows the growth in all individuals that are involved in the program. 

“The Men of Color program is designed to support, strengthen and promote student success for all male students at TCC,” Jefferson said. “SE Campus has 100-plus males participating in the program.”

The goal is to provide Hispanic and Black students with adequate resources to be successful on an academic platform. MCC is open to all students without regard to race, gender, national origin or other characteristics. 

Dantrayl Smith, TR Campus coordinator of the Intercultural Network for the MCC, said the program prepares all their male students to be successful in diverse environments inside and outside of the classroom through group and one-on-one mentoring. 

“Students are equipped with the following essential life skills: time management, strategic planning and goal setting,” Smith said.    

Jefferson said the most challenging aspect of MCC is building trust. He said many students lack social support and are leery of trusting others.

“However, MCC’s goal is to show consistent support and help eliminate insecurities,” he said. “It’s a great accomplishment for MCC students when they succeed in raising their GPA from semester to semester, and graduation is a success because many never thought it was accessible.”

SE student Treon Jackson said the program is his safe place where he can come and not be judged. MCC’s resources have greatly impacted his networking and relationship-building skills, he said. 

“Being a part of the MCC program teaches me how important it is to shed light on embracing diversity to other students, especially being the minority,” Jackson said. 

MCC’s efforts focus on five tenets: academic support, career development, leadership development, personal growth and support, and social and emotional support.

To join MCC, students can visit the Intercultural Network in person at any TCC campus. 

“For those interested in the MCC program, invest in your future and cash out later in life,” Jefferson said. “Like social media, this platform allows individuals to build networks, socialize and obtain information to better themselves without the ‘likes.’”