Student officers working to bring back normalcy

Students attend the NE Student Government Association Senate forum April 6. Alex Hoben/The Collegian
Students attend the NE Student Government Association Senate forum April 6.
Alex Hoben/The Collegian

JUAN SALINAS II
senior editor
juan.salinas465@my.tccd.edu

Student Government Association elections were held April 12, and now, they’re ready to put their agendas to work. 

SGA is responsible for managing and overseeing student activities, initiatives and events while determining and setting into motion how it can further the improvement of the respective campuses. 

“We listen to all student concerns, complaints and ideas,” South SGA President Jalisa Stovall said. “Then we address them with the respective director to solve the issues and help ensure students’ needs are being met.” 

SGA also decides how funds are allocated between clubs and events.

Like many organizations at TCC, returning from the pandemic has been hard for the SGA. 

“When COVID happened, a lot of clubs shut down because it was so overwhelming, and I imagine it was extremely difficult to maintain,” TR SGA Vice President Grace Kadia said. 

TR SGA has been working around the clock to restore the clubs across campus.

“The extraordinary growth of student involvement in extracurricular activities is definitely our biggest accomplishment this year, but we can’t take all the credit,” TR SGA historian Milo Norris said. “Club and student organization leaders (and members) have been absolutely invaluable in helping us reach our goal of reviving the campus extracurricular scene as we continue to build back our campus post-COVID closure. We really appreciate all those who have begun attending club meetings, started new clubs or revived old ones.” 

NW SGA President Sammy Jepsen said his organization is doing better with student engagement. He is excited to see what comes next and hopes students will be interested in joining.

“SGA not only is a leadership opportunity, but it’s the foundation of workplace ethics, communication mechanics, professionalism, and most importantly, the SGA will

teach you to care for others,” Jepsen said. “SGA will teach you to see the student’s perspective and accept their point of view over your own.”

NW SGA secured NW as a host school for the Texas Junior College Student Government Association convention for the upcoming year. TJCSGA is where other SGAs from different junior colleges come together and learn from each other. 

“TCC has not served a position in this convention for a while, so we have reached a milestone that will put us on the map,” NW SGA secretary Allan Barbosa said.

Kadia credits her experience in the SGA for her personal growth.  

“My peers, as well as executive board members Eddie, Savannah, Milo and Emma, have pushed me past my comfort zone to become the person I am today,” she said. “I couldn’t be more grateful for them to be with me in our endeavors.” 

Norris encourages students that are interested in SGA to just go for it. 

“It’s an incredibly rewarding experience, and a whole world of opportunities is waiting for you if you are elected,” Norris said. “Unfortunately, the deadline to apply to be on the TR SGA executive board has passed, but that doesn’t mean it’s too late to get involved. The SGA also includes club and student organization officers. If there isn’t a club that sounds appealing, create one. The college experience thrives on diversity and a wealth of information, and we will make sure that your voice is heard.”