Annual plant sale brings community together

NW Horticulture student Jamie Monego helping sell plants during the NW plant sale. She was in charge of the annual plants. Alex Hoben/The Collegian
NW Horticulture student Jamie Monego helping sell plants during the NW plant sale. She was in charge of the annual plants.
Alex Hoben/The Collegian

ANALISA GARCIA
reporter
collegian.editor@tccd.edu

Early in the morning, the walkway was crowded with people —many with flatbed carts full of perennials, annual plants, and herbs. The plants were provided by students from the NW horticulture program.

The horticulture program at NW Campus hosted its annual spring plant sale April 7. The sale is a major learning opportunity and the proceeds are used to fund competitions and workshops for the students.

“The students are in our capstone class for the A.A.S. Horticulture degree,” David Cole Horticulture learning lab manager said. “The semester is spent learning all about the plants we offer at the plant sale and beyond.”

The process began in the fall semester by propagating the woody and herbaceous plants so they could be prepared for the sale, and in the spring semester the planting of the seeds started.

Last year the plant sale produced around $14,000 in profit, which goes directly back to students. The proceeds fund travel to competitions, conferences, workshops, and all associated expenses, according to Cole.

“We went to Mississippi State with 12 students,” Cole said. “They did not have to pay for a hotel room, meals, conference attendance or registration. Students don’t have to pay a dime out of their pocket because we want it [horticulture events] to be available to everybody.”

NW Horticulture student Hannah Weimer said she wants to own a flower farm in the future.

“I’ve learned so much. Not just about what to do in a business setting, but plants in general,” Weimer said. “Different things about insects, things that grow here better and all sorts of plants.”

NW student Jocelyn Paz said the prices and selection offered at the sale were great.

“I want to make a garden and wanted to buy some plants,” she said. “The prices are really great, and all the plants look really good.”