Black actors with top billing

BlackExcellence Illustrated by/ Abbas Ghor
BlackExcellence
Illustrated by/ Abbas Ghor

JUAN SALINAS II
juan.salinas465@my.tccd.edu

Since the start of the Academy Awards in 1929, only about 40 Black actors have won it. This has been a point of contention for a couple of years now, with many voicing their disappointment for The Academy’s lack of diversity. But, these three actors have risen in prominence, giving the Black community more figures to look to for a glimmer of hope.  

Denzel Washington started his career on the big screen in “Wilma,” playing the main character’s boyfriend. 

He continued his acting career being in supporting roles until his Oscar-worthy performance in “Cry Freedom.” 

Washington has 10 Oscar nominations, the most nominations for a Black actor in history. His most recent was for his performance in “Tragedy of Macbeth.” 

Playing the corrupt Los Angeles police detective Alonzo Harris in “Training Day” is one of his most famous roles. 

Michael B. Jordan was in the award-winning show “The Wire” as Wallace, and had a cameo in “The Sopranos.” He had a notable performance in “Fruitvale Station,” an NAACP Image Award winner for outstanding independent motion picture. The film is based on true events, in it, he plays Oscar Grant as we see his last day on earth before being murdered by the police. 

He didn’t become a household name until his role in “Creed,” a soft reboot to the “Rocky” franchise focused on Apollo Creed’s son Adonis and his boxing career. 

His success in “Creed” landed him a role in the film “Black Panther” as Erik Killmonger — a highly-skilled Mercenary that planned on getting revenge for his father’s murder.  

The hit series “Scandal” is what Kerry Washington is known for. She plays Olivia Pope, a role that got her an NAACP Image Award. But her other notable roles are “Django Unchained and “American Son.” 

She has been nominated for eight Emmy awards for her roles in “Little Fires Everywhere,” “American Son, “Confirmation” and  “Scandal.”