Safe celebrations ensured for students’ graduation

Alyson Oliver
senior editor

TCC is celebrating its graduates in pandemic-conscious ways this year.
The college’s first-ever Rolling Commencement Ceremony will take place at Dickies Arena May 15.

“Our Rolling Commencement format entails graduates and guests forming an extended but constantly moving processional from the time they arrive at the Dickies Arena Exhibit Hall entrance,” said David Ximenez, associate vice chancellor of enrollment and academic support services.

This will differ from the typical graduation ceremony because none of the attendees will be seated and they will spend about 30 minutes in the building, as opposed to the approximate two hours they would spend at a traditional graduation ceremony, Ximenez said.

Attendees will enter a line where they pass through the venue’s exhibit area. Once they are inside the arena, the graduates will cross the stage where their name will be read.

The Chancellor and other leaders at TCC will be present, as will professional photographers, but attendees are welcome to take their own photos as well.

Graduates may bring up to four adult guests. They must arrive at the venue in their cap and gown, and all attendees have to wear a face mask. They will all undergo a security and temperature check before entering.

Groups will all stay together while they attend the event and leave immediately after the graduate crosses the stage.

“These protocols provide graduates a safe opportunity to be publicly recognized and celebrated for their achievement,” Ximenez said.

Now that the deadline for graduates to confirm they plan to attend the ceremony has passed, district director of admissions and records Rebecca Griffith said the most important thing students should do is look out for their graduate name card that will be mailed to them May 3.

“This will have their time of arrival at Dickies Arena,” she said.

TCC will also have a virtual graduation ceremony for veterans and military-connected students.

While the event may be less personal without face-to-face interaction or the chance to walk across the stage, it will be fairly similar to a traditional graduation ceremony, SE veterans counselor Christy McDonald said.

Attendees may send in a photo and any biographical information they would like to be shared during the ceremony.

“We try to make it as good of an experience as possible being online,” McDonald said.