TCC Nursing Program

Providing opportunities in the healthcare field
while completing education

Illustration by Amber Davis/The Collegian

The TCC Nursing program has a very selective application process. After being accepted to TCC, students must meet the requirements to be eligible to submit a separate application to the Nursing Program.

Applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 3.4 or higher in the three science prerequisite courses. Applicants are also required to take HESI A2, which is the required admission test for Nursing. One must earn a minimum score of 75 on each section of the HESI A2. The test consists of five sections, Anatomy and Physiology, Grammar, Math, Reading and Vocabulary.

Career and Technical Education Academic Adviser Chelsey Smithley, “Because the HESI A2 is the main component of the applicant score, the higher their HSEI A2 score, the more competitive of an applicant they will be.”

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the way the HESI A2 test is given, said Daisy Guzman of the Department of Associate Degree Nursing. “Because of the pandemic, the test is done on online threw Prometric,” said Guzman, “The test cost 45-dollars and can be taken every 60-days.”

Photos by Azul Sordo/The Collegian
Students can earn their nusing credentials while attending the newly build East campus in downtown Fort Worth.

The program combines general and nursing education with clinical experiences in a variety of area facilities. TCC offers nursing courses on campus in 2 formats, classes on campus and Blended, which is classes on campus and online. Smithley said, “In clinic, students must be professional, reliable and timely.”

Nursing student Claudia Luna said, “My classes are a bit challenging, but it’s also exciting and fascinating all at the same time.”

The way classes are conducted has changed because of CO VID-19 says Claudia Luna. “Since COVID-19, all of our classes including our clinical class are online which can be difficult at times, but I’m learning how to use all my resources to my advantage,” Said Luna.

The TCC nursing program is a Concurrent Enrollment Program. This give students the chance to work on a Nursing A.A.S. at TCC while working on a Bachelor of Science in Nursing at one of the partner universities.

Luna said, “I am currently enrolled in the LVN program and like I’ve said, it is a bit challenging at times due to our classes being online and trying to figure out which study techniques work best for me, but I wouldn’t change a thing.”

Graduates of the program are encouraged to transfer to 4-year universities to complete their bachelor’s degree in nursing through enrollment in RN-to-BSN programs.

Respiratory care center display at East campus. Featured is the Bennett PR-2 model
that was used in WW2 and nicknamed “The Owl”.

After successfully completing the program, graduates are eligible to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN), which is administered by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).

Once a program passes the NCLEX-RN examination, you will get your Registered Nursing license.

The Associate Degree in Nursing and Vocational Nursing programs meet the state education requirements for a nursing license in the state of Texas.

TCC has not determined if these nursing programs meet the state education requirements in any other state in the U.S.

“After I graduate from the LVN Program, I plan on continuing my education by enrolling into the LVN to RN program that TCC offers and eventually becoming an ED Nurse or a Travel nurse on day,” said Luna.

After successfully completing the program, Graduates can find job opportunities in hospitals, Doctor offices, Nursing and residential care facilities and home healthcare services.