TCC offering testing, vaccinations

Meghan Schilling
reporter

CORRECTION, Sept. 17: Vaccinated students who test positive are not allowed to come back after 24 hours.

TCC opened vaccination and testing sites last week that will run through the end of September.

NE student Gracia Kadia said she’s happy that TCC is giving students a choice to wear masks but isn’t entirely confident with that decision since the pandemic is ongoing.

TR nursing student Jaykob Harrington said that the virus will continue spreading, and that’s because some students remain unvaccinated.

President Joe Biden’s vaccination mandate announced Sept. 9 requires workplaces with 100 or more employees to have the staff fully vaccinated and regularly tested. TCC has not mandated vaccinations at this time.

“Until everyone is vaccinated for the virus, or at least a majority are, it would be a good idea to wear a mask where it is difficult to social distance like that of a full classroom,” Harrington said.

TCC offers vaccination clinics and testing sites Monday through Thursday from 10 a.m. to 7. p.m. until Sept. 30. Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines will be offered.

Vaccinations began on South and NW Sept. 1., while NE, TR and SE began Sept. 8. It will be free, paid by insurance or the CARES Act grant, an emergency relief fund.

To register, go to TCC’s website and click the banner that says “COVID-19 Updates.” After registering, a QR code will be provided which will be used to check in on the day of the appointment. Make sure to take a screenshot of the code and have it ready to show.

“People who are vaccinated are fine, but it does raise concern for those who aren’t vaccinated,” NW student Hannah Lochtefeld said. “They have a higher chance of catching COVID-19 and passing it.”

Drive-through COVID testing will also be provided.

Testing has the same schedule as the vaccinations, but different starting dates. South began testing Sept. 8, NW begins Sept. 9, NE Sept. 14, TR Sept. 15 and SE Sept. 16.

TCC wrote in an email Aug. 21 that it provided a system on its website that would help exposed students or faculty who tested positive for COVID-19 by allowing them to self-report cases. The link is under the COVID-19 banner and FAQ. It’s titled “COVID-19 Exposure Data,” and it allows students and employees to report their symptoms.

“If a student is displaying any of the symptoms, even if mild, faculty members can and should refer them to the Health Services for determination if they should be sent home,” TCC wrote in its FAQ page.

Students are required to stay home for 10 days if they have any onset symptoms.