TRE club stages 2nd Chance Prom

By Erin Ratigan/tr news editor

TRE Campus will be transformed from a place of learning to a party hall April 26 as students create new memories at the 2nd Chance Prom 7-11 p.m.

The event is sponsored by TREE, the TR lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender student organization. South Campus student disc jockey NovaNine will provide Top 40 and dance music. Formal wear is not required but encouraged.

SGA parliamentarian Cortney Walden said TREE chose the “Celestial Nights” theme after they realized the natural beauty of the campus.

“We decided to do the event on our east campus because we thought it would give TREC that chance to host an event,” she said.

After seeing the campus in person, members decided it was naturally beautiful and would not need to be decorated.

This will be Walden’s first time attending the 2nd Chance Prom. She said she could not attend her senior prom.

“I think this is why it’s a big deal for me, too,” she said. “I’ve been super excited to attend.”

TREE member Oliver Lewis remembers her prom fondly.

“I went to prom every single year I was in high school,” she said. “I really liked them because they were a great place to socialize.”

What makes this dance special, Walden said, is it allows students to replace potentially unhappy memories with new ones. She said many LGBT students might not have gone to prom because of insecurities or their inability to go with dates.

“This is a chance for our LGBT students to come with the people that they want to,” she said. “A lot of LGBT students didn’t get to.”

Above all, she said she hopes students come prepared to enjoy themselves.

“Hopefully, it’ll be different from their first time,” she said.

Tickets are on sale for $10-$15 or may be purchased at the door for $5 extra.

Students can contact Walden at cortney.walden@my.tccd.edu for more information.