Viewpoint – Kanye’s music outpaced by his egotistical ramblings

By Ross Ocampo/ reporter

Kanye West — the American hip-hop artist, songwriter, producer and fashion designer married to Kim Kardashian. Now when people see this name they either think two things: He’s an ultra-successful musical and entrepreneurial mogul or he’s a narcissistic, egotistical baby.

Let me preface that I grew up on Kanye, that The College Dropout is one of my favorite albums, and that I stayed up until 3 in the morning to listen through his new album The Life of Pablo.

However, West has been on a recent tweeting spree that even his most loyal fans can’t even seem to defend. One series of tweets talks about his $53 million debt.

Being one of the most exorbitant people in the limelight, West isn’t afraid to deck out his 2-year-old daughter in designer clothes and $3,500 fur coats. This didn’t stop the superstar from asking Mark Zuckerberg, creator of Facebook, to “invest 1 billion dollars into Kanye West ideas.”

Now, I’m not one to judge the guy for his purchases and life decisions, but if I’m $53 million in debt, the last thing I would be doing is tweeting about it. But hey, that’s just me.

But then again, if I was Kanye, why not tweet about it? Maybe I can get a GoFundMe donation page going to help pay off my debt. Oh wait, that’s a thing already? Well, there must be some serious Yeezy fans out there.

Recently, West has also put a member of the music industry on blast in an even more recent Twitter rant. Bob Ezrin, a rock producer who’s worked on albums for Alice Cooper, Kiss and Pink Floyd, wrote criticisms of the rapper, even saying that West didn’t contribute as much to music as Macklemore had.

Kanye being Kanye, he did not take it so well and took to social media to express his disdain.

“Has anybody ever heard of Bob Ezrin??? What the f— does he know about rap … I’m tired of old people that have no connection with anything trying to comment on music!” West typed away.

Kanye’s right, though. I hadn’t heard of Ezrin until Kanye made him a trending topic. And for the record, Macklemore is not more important musically than Kanye.

One thing’s for sure, though: As much as I love listening to Kanye’s music (except his album Yeezus, but I think many felt the same way), Kanye is the most big-headed, most egotistical personality on social media, and it’s hard to always defend the guy for what he says.

An easy solution for this, though, is getting Kim to take away his phone.