20 years of counseling TCC

Having served at TCC for 20 years, Wilton Fowler enjoys coming in to work each day to give his all. Alex Hoben/The Collegian
Having served at TCC for 20 years, Wilton Fowler enjoys
coming in to work each day to give his all.
Alex Hoben/The Collegian

ALEX HOBEN
alexandra.hoben@my.tccd.edu

Decades after most retire, NE counselor Wilton “Bill” Fowler gets up, puts his work clothes on and drives into TCC every morning because of how dedicated he is to the students.

Born in Nacogdoches, TX, Fowler has lived in the state for his whole life and has worked in education for most of it. Starting as a high school English teacher at Big Sandy high school in 1949, he has spent the past seven decades teaching and working with students across the state. Finally ending up at TCC for the past 20 years in the advising and counseling center talking with students.

Despite being a decade into his retirement, when the job was mentioned to him Fowler, then 75, jumped at the opportunity to be working again.

“Well I was retired for 10 years – I got about all that I wanted,” he said. “I had not thought about it while I was retired, going back to work, until they contacted me.”

Fowler says the main motivation for his job is the students and he hopes that the work he does through his meetings helps them and their success at the schools. 

“The students are the joy of my life,” Fowler said. “I enjoy being with them and helping them, doing what I can to assist them, whatever their needs are. They’re fine young people, and to think that I’ve had the opportunity to be with them and, and see them and enjoy the conversations that we’ve had and all this it helps me probably more than it does them.”

Fowler is known by some of his fellow staff members as a kind and understanding man, with an unwavering dedication to not only his job but also the students he works with.

NE director of counseling Condoa Parrent, Fowler’s supervisor, has worked with him for close to 12 years and describes Fowler as a man of honor committed to his word.

“I have never met anyone who is more committed and dedicated to his position,” Parrent says. “He never misses work and even comes in for any staff meetings or training that is scheduled on his days off – his work ethic is comparable to none.”

NE assistant director of counseling and advising Ronda Isaacs says an important aspect of Fowler is his care to those around him.

“He is so kind and understanding. I hear him as he is talking with students and love how he encourages students,” Isaacs said. “His kindness and knowledge affect change in those he talks with – think of the Ripple Effect of how his words help and change this life, who goes on to help and change the life of another, who helps another etc. I would guess there is no way to adequately measure how Dr. Fowler has helped the community.”

Fowler celebrated his 95th birthday on Sept. 18 and says he will continue to work with TCC as long as he’s able to and will continue to serve students and the community.

“I just enjoy being with the students,” he said. “If I can help them, it’s a joy to me and hopefully it’s something for them as well. So it is good to be able to know that you’re helping somebody.”