A world without social media would look like what?

creative-christians-unsplash
creative-christians-unsplash

XAVIER BOATNER
xavier.boatner@my.tccd.edu

With the Restrict Act on the horizon, social media could see major changes. Though, that begs the question of whether social media is even needed.

It’s obvious that social media has changed the way society operates since its inception, and perhaps even conception. A place where real people can go to follow the lives of other people whenever they want? That’s the kind of crazy idea that would certainly forever alter the way people interact, right? Yes. Yes, it would. It absolutely would.

It’s difficult to imagine a world where social media platforms didn’t exist. They’ve become millions of people’s go-to source for news, updates, drama, memes – the works. Just think about it, if it weren’t for the existence of Twitter, we wouldn’t have been blessed with tweets from former President Donald Trump talking about Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart’s relationship or how bad Coca-Cola tastes.

Jokes aside, the stranglehold social media platforms have had on people’s daily lives is inconceivable. Realistically, it’s as important and prominent in many folks’ lives as their jobs at this point. One could argue that’s hyperbolic, but – is it though? 

Society has grown largely dependent on social media platforms like Twitter, TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Not to say that’s inherently a negative thing, but there’s no denying that it’s likely impossible for us as a society to ever truly go back to the way things were before the dawn of MySpace, or if you’re a 90s kid, Six Degrees.

If it weren’t for Facebook or Instagram, building and maintaining relationships with people familiar and unfamiliar would become increasingly difficult at a time when it seems many people have grown tired and weary of others.

If it weren’t for TikTok, Reddit or Quora, new and old generations may have a harder time opening their minds to multiple lifestyles, languages, locations, cultures, backgrounds, likes, dislikes, positives, negatives, historical events and current events.

If it wasn’t for Twitter, chances are a lot of folks wouldn’t have to lose brain cells reading awful tweets, who’d want to miss out on that? 

On second thought, maybe Twitter should go actually.

Additionally, politicians, businesses, celebrities, news outlets, schools, etc., have used the available media platforms as an invaluable way to communicate information about themselves to build a stronger image to encourage more people to engage with them.

Despite Senator Mark Warner and his spokespeople declaring otherwise, it’s a bit hard to believe this Restrict Act thing won’t have a large impact on numerous citizens.

Though we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. If social media succumbs to the power of the Restrict Act, what will happen to our society?