Aerobic exercise can promote healthy heart, weight control

By Ryan Mercer/sports editor

Every year, many people resolve to exercise and lose weight.
   Unfortunately, that resolution hasn’t changed in years and that belly hasn’t gotten any flatter.
   Losing weight is one of the hardest things to do. Many factors can explain why it is so hard to achieve the coveted six-pack and firm muscle definition.
   The biggest reason people fail to achieve weight loss is a combination of poor diet and lack of regular exercise, Ronnie Curcio, sports performance director at Velocity Sports Performance in Southlake, said.
   During the holidays, people eat more food than they should, and most often those foods are very high in fat and carbohydrates, Curcio said.
   “Society is a key factor in people gaining weight,” he said. “We see the holidays as a time to eat.”
   The biggest key to weight loss is getting a goal and sticking to it. Many people make losing weight a New Year’s resolution, but weight loss is a life choice, Curcio said.
   The first step toward a slimmer physique is diet. Curcio said students should get their diets in control. One way is to consult a nutritionist.
   An easy way to find a nutritionist is at the local fitness club or sign up to take a nutrition class at any of the TCC campuses. Taking a nutrition course can help students get a grasp on what they need to put into their body for healthier results.
   Dieting is the biggest key to achieving weight loss and maintaining a desired weight. However, diet control is only half the battle.
   Exercise is equally tough. The most important step to getting physically fit is getting into a gym or an aerobic activity, Curcio said.
   “ Finding a well-regulated, informative fitness program and getting consistency are the key to attaining your goal,” he said.
   Lifting weights is one of the best activities for burning fat and dropping pounds. Like dieting, lifting weights needs to be done consistently about three to four times a week. People need to be careful when doing so because it is very strenuous.
   Finding a lifting program is very important not only for gaining leanness and muscle mass, but also for safety. Weightlifting is offered on TCC campuses and can introduce or enhance knowledge about the proper way to lift weights. Another way is through an expert, a trained professional in weight training. However, personal trainers can be very expensive, so taking a class at TCC would more likely fit a student budget.
   Like everything, there is a catch. For the best and surest results, aerobic activity following and during off weight-lifting days are a must.
   Aerobic activity needs to be done 20-40 minutes consistently. Curcio said students should train by heart rate.
   Training by heart rate means finding one’s hear rate zone for weight loss, Curcio said. The range is different for everyone, so looking it up is important to get maximum results. Students can find a chart in the gym or can ask a fitness instructor for one. Once the participant has his heart rate zone, he should try to do aerobic activity in that zone for 20 to 40 minutes. Appropriate aerobic activities include jogging, bicycling and swimming.
   Stretching before and after a workout helps to prevent muscle pulls and tears.
TCC offers aerobic activities like swimming, dancing, kickboxing, water aerobics, conditioning, jogging, hiking and canoeing.
   The most important thing to remember in achieving weight loss is to be positive, stick to a routine and have fun, Curcio said.