April flowers bring good mood, too

Spring is here, and along with allergies, it brings flowers.

What is your favorite flower? What makes that flower so special?

Did you know the presence of flowers can actually improve your mood? If you have allergies, you may not agree.

According to a 2005 Rutgers study, having bright, colorful flower arrangements in a room dramatically improves your overall mood.

Flowers such as daisies, sunflowers, tulips and daffodils can act as powerful mood enhancers.

Final exams are fast approaching. Try setting a nice bouquet of brightly colored flowers next to your textbooks and see how positively the studying goes.

“Flowers bring about positive emotional feelings in those who enter a room,” said Dr. Jeanette Haviland-Jones of Rutgers University. “They make the space more welcoming and create a sharing atmosphere.”

Having beautifully exquisite flowers can brighten anyone’s day. Flowers are not just for the girls. Guys can enjoy them, too.

Tropical flowers have also been known to help the uplifting of a mood. Exotic birds of paradise and hibiscus blossoms make you feel as if you are in Hawaii with warm breezes blowing in your hair — well, it could.

Other more common exotic flowers such as orchids, roses and amaryllis can impart a calming atmosphere.

One would not have to spend a fortune on exceedingly expensive, rare blooms when a simple, single rose could do the trick. Wildflowers are free and available on the side of the road.

The presence of flowers does wonders for your mood and they can also relieve anxiety and depression.

A Harvard study said living with flowers can provide a boost of energy, happiness and enthusiasm.

One such flower that can help is chamomile. Many know this flower as a favorite in herbal tea. Chamomile contains natural properties to relieve anxiety and stress, helping promote relaxation and sleep. When studying for finals, the oil from this flower can also be used as an aromatherapy.

In the middle of your day, take time to stop and smell the roses.