Area colleges visiting South for transfers

TCC students can learn about transferring to four-year school tomorrow on South Campus.

As a service to the community and TCC students, South Campus will host its annual College Day Fair 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 25, in the Student Center.

College Day 2007 is designed for students interested in attending a four-year university. They will have the opportunity to meet transfer representatives and discuss related topics such as transferable credits, scholarships and specific questions on career fields.

“We seek to serve and meet the needs students have for clarity and confirmation pertaining to their ultimate career choices,” Sandra Johnson, a counselor at TCC South Campus who also works along with the event, said.

“It is our desire to train and assist our students to become well educated, informed and focused.”

During the event, Johnson said, students’ questions are presented in an activity to support a service TCC offers in the Transfer Center, housed on South Campus, where the staff works with students one on one.

Johnson said most high school students want to enroll in four-year universities because they think attending a four-year school is more meaningful than going to a community college. However, she said TCC knits a network together with four-year schools to provide the student information and service concerning their final career selection.

“Community colleges are a transitional haven for all people’s backgrounds,” she said. “Four-year schools recognize community colleges as a valuable asset to them.”

More than 30 universities will participate including Texas Wesleyan University, University of Texas at Arlington, University of North Texas and Texas Christian University.