Artist joins Southwest flair with pop

By Bitty Reilly/south news editor

A mix of pop-art style and Southwestern flair describes the art work in the spring 2006 South Campus art exhibit, Southwest Showdown.
   John Rust’s oil on canvas paintings are on display in his first gallery show at the South Campus Carillon Gallery until Feb. 16.
   Rust, an El Paso native, specializes in the Southwest style and said he often finds inspiration walking around downtown El Paso.
   “ I primarily paint from the environment,” he said. “My inspirations come mainly from the areas in El Paso.”
   Rust graduated in 1998 from the University of Texas at El Paso, where he majored in metal with a minor in painting.
   “ Metal is an expensive field to work in without a jewelry shop or business,” he said. “Painting was easier to pick up after [graduating] school.”
   Rust’s creation process usually starts with taking a photo of the object he wants to paint.
   Next, he sketches with Adobe Photoshop to develop the idea, then moves to a print out. This helps save money on the more expensive materials.
   Sometimes, Rust works the idea through to completion on Adobe, saving the canvas for the final touch. Other times he paints add-ins on the fly directly on the canvas with his projects.
   “I use neglected areas and structures, plus play off items within the media or use high profile people,” he said.
   Rust refers to “Fist Full of Power,” an oil currently on display in the Carillon Gallery, as an example.
   “ That is Clint Eastwood superimposed over an El Paso power plant,” he said.
Rust has painted professionally since graduation, but has loved the medium since childhood.
   “ My first set of oil paints came from my grandfather when I was a kid,” he said.
   To make certain his pieces arrived safely for the TCC show, Rust brought them from El Paso himself. Gallery hours are from noon to 3 p.m. Monday-Thursday. Viewings are free.
   Rust will be present for a free closing reception Thursday, Feb. 16, from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Joe B. Rushing Center for the Performing Arts.
   For price listings of the art, contact Paul Benero, assistant art director, at 817-515-4610.