Bernie Sanders needs to drop out of race

October 16, 2019 | Krissia Palomo | campus editor

Bernie Sanders is a sitting U.S. Senator and has been for 12 years. Before that, he served as a U.S. Representative for 16 years.

Sanders has been in public office for a long time.

He’s made strides in social justice movements and kickstarted the progressive agenda in 2016. Sanders is now 78.

Sanders has done more than most politicians can say, but now it is time for him to end his presidential bid.

Last week, the Bernie 2020 campaign reported that Sanders suffered from a heart attack while on the campaign trail in Las Vegas.

This news raised concerns about Sanders’ ability to continue running his presidential campaign.

There are currently 19 Democrats running for president, many who have proposed policies similar to Sanders. If his campaign wasn’t fueled by his ego, maybe he would drop out, focus on his health, and endorse someone who appears to be in good enough shape to hold the presidency.

One can argue that Sanders’ record of activism bodes well for his success, but his proposals have not been effective as of recently.

None of the bills he introduced in the 115th Congress actually became laws, and only one of his proposed bills came out of committee.

There is nothing Sanders has proposed that any other candidate can’t get done.

Taking into account Sanders’ declining health, frail appearance and age then factor in the pressure of a presidential campaign, only one outcome seems logical: Sanders should drop out of the race.

Many prominent Democrats such as Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and former Vice President Joe Biden are around Sanders’ age, but they haven’t had heart attacks while trying to become president.

People need to go into the 2020 election cycle ready to vote for someone to be president, not for that person’s vice president to become president.