Biden defeated Trump in 2020 election

TCC students react to the news of Biden’s projected victory and what it means for Americans

Maddy Remington
managing editor

Maddy Remington/The Collegian
Crowds gather to celebrate President-elect Biden’s win over Trump in the 2020 presidential election. Many have said that this election was the most divisive in recent history.

Former Vice President Joe Biden was projected as the president-elect Saturday morning, causing many to celebrate but leaving many outraged as well.

In the days following Election Day, Americans waited anxiously for a winner to emerge. Due to delays in mail-in ballot counting, it took over three days for a winner to be called by major news outlets.

This led many to be tense over the course of the week as each state’s electoral votes were gradually projected. 

“Election Day was nerve-wracking. I stayed up watching the electoral map, reading the percentages and hearing what the news anchors had to say,” TR student Maria Del Carmen said.

Some TCC students had an overwhelmingly positive response to the results of the race.

“I am happy and relieved that president-Elect Biden won,” NE student Daniel Prado said. “The fact that Republicans won House seats in key states that President Trump lost was surprising, but I think that is proof that the elections were not fraudulent.”

A number of TCC students noted that it has been a long time coming. They are thankful to see Trump on his way out of office after four long years.

“The election outcome was no surprise,” SE student Rosa Denton said. ”Our current leader was not, in my opinion, the best candidate to represent our country. He was not for the people only for a select few.”

As division has been at the forefront of the nation’s problems over the past four years, TCC students are concerned as to how Biden will address it.

“My concern with the present state of our country is the division,” Denton said. “We as a country have worked so hard to set aside our differences and unite.”

The results of the election will be certified by each of the respective states starting the first week of December. Then the new president will be sworn in on Jan. 20, 2021.

Some students said they are excited to see what will come of this transition period. Since Biden’s campaign slogan was to “restore the soul of the nation,” students are also interested to see how Biden will begin to heal the nation. 

“I want a president who does not see red or blue states but citizens and people of the United States of America,” Prado said.