Black artists that influence today’s mainstream culture

Illustration by Amber Davis /The Collegian

Juan Salinas II
Campus editor
juan.salinas465@my.tccd.edu

Music is a major part of Black culture. From jazz to hip-hop, it has been a method of expression since its inception. Even now, these artists use it as a way to communicate with their audiences, all while influencing the music industry as a whole.

Kanye West

Raised in Chicago, Kanye West was first known as a producer before his smash debut album “The College Dropout.”

Since then, he has been pushing boundaries in hip-hop. His influence is still felt throughout the industry with his 808 beats from the album “808s and Heartbreak.”

Most Popular Album “The Life of Pablo”

Drake 

The Toronto artist Drake had an interesting start to his career. He began with acting, but eventually, quit to focus on his music.

He has laser-like precision when it comes to crafting mainstream hits. His hot streak started with his third mixtape “So Far Gone.”

After that, every project has been a hit and tops the charts.

Most Popular Album “Views”

Tyler, The Creator 

Tyler, The Creator is the black sheep of mainstream music. He began with a group called Odd Future. Edgy, in-your-face lyrics were his forte until the album “Wolf.”

“Wolf” was a turning point for Tyler because he was able to focus on the actual sounds of the music rather than causing outrage with his lyrics.

Most Popular Album “Call Me If You Get Lost”

Megan Thee stallion

New to the music industry, Megan Jovon Ruth Pete — mostly known as Megan Thee Stallion — has already made a splash with the whole “Hot Girl Summer” phase in 2018.

Her Houston roots are what separates her from other female artists. The effort she puts into her lyrics has solidified her position in the hip-hop industry. She has become a symbol in her short time in the spotlight.

Most Popular Album “Good News”

Kendrick Lamar

Raised in Compton, California, Kendrick Lamar has used his platform to talk about issues in the Black community. He is also the first rapper to win a Pulitzer Prize for his album “DAMN.”

Lamar has always been good at telling a story in his music, but his album “To Pimp a Butterfly” brought his storytelling to the next level. It’s arguably the most influential album of this generation

Most Popular Album “DAMN.”