Black History Month

Feb. 23 A Celebration of African-American Hymns and Spirituals will take place 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the SSTU Living Room on South Campus. The program consists of hymns sung by enslaved blacks in the South and considered today as anthems of freedom and hope. Drinks and desserts will be provided.

Feb. 23 A free music festival will be 7:30-9 p.m. in the South Campus Recital Hall. Admission is free, and a reception will follow the festival.

Now-Feb. 28 A display of books dealing with events and people associated with black history is on exhibit in the TR Campus Library.

Now-Feb. 28 South health and natural sciences dean Linda Braddy will sponsor Significant African-Americans in Health and Natural Sciences, a display of enhanced photographs of relatively unknown but important black scientists. The photos will be on display in the SSCI’s main entrance.

Now-Feb. 28 The artistic installation of Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad is in the SSTU Cafeteria. The exhibit aims to introduce South Campus to the true story of the Underground Railroad and show the challenges faced and languages used by slaves trying to gain their freedom.

Now-March 3 SE Campus presents Black Codes from the Underground in Art Corridor II. The art exhibit showcases artists Zoetina Veal and Adeniyi Olagunju. Gallery hours are 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Saturday. For more information, call Christopher Blay at 817-515-3604.

Feb. 24 Motivational speaker and former Olympian Hollis Conway was rescheduled because of inclement weather. His presentation will begin at 1 p.m. in the SE Campus C.A. Roberson Theatre. Conway ranked No. 1 in the nation for high jumps in 1988-1994 and No. 1 in the world in 1990-1991. Admission is free, and the public is invited. For more information, contact Doug Peak at 817-515-3076.

Feb. 24 James “Bird” Guess, motivational speaker, will speak on TR Campus about how he made $250,000 from the trunk of his car starting with only $1,000 and a dream. His presentation begins at 11 a.m. in TRTR Action A.

Feb. 24 Author Derek Catsam will present The Freedom Rides at 50 12:30-1:30 p.m. in the NSTU Center Corner on NE Campus. The event will recognize the 50th anniversary of the Freedom Rides, which were part of the civil rights movement. A light lunch will be served on a first-come, first-served basis. RSVP to student activities at 817-515-6688.

Feb. 28 Winners of the Robert Davis Essay Contest will be announced 1-2 p.m. in the SSTU Cafeteria during the closing ceremony for the South Campus Black History Month celebration.