Blackout wins SE intramural tournament, heads to district

By Marley Malenfant/reporter

Blackout advanced to the district basketball tournament during the SE Campus intramural finals March 27.

Blackout player John Martin attempts a layup in a the SE Campus intramural basketball final March 27. Blackout defeated the team I Work, 20-19, to represent the campus in the district championship. John Jones/The Collegian

Four teams played to see which team would advance to the district tournament on South Campus. I Work was victorious over the Ballers in the first game. Despite the Ballers not having a deep bench, they kept the game close.

I Work attacked the basket early and scored eight points in the paint. With four minutes to go, I Work player Sean Hall made two three-pointers to put his team ahead 10-8.

Because of fatigue, the Ballers’ efforts to come back weren’t good enough. I Work won 14-12.

Hall said he felt poised shooting the ball and attacking the basket, mostly from practicing his game.

“That’s why I hit so many shots, just working hard over the spring break,” he said.

Blackout played the Chupacabras in a grueling second game. Both teams shot well and tied 19-19, forcing overtime. Blackout player Lafontaine Leffall hit a pair of three-pointers in overtime to give Blackout the win 27-25.

“I just give all the credit to my teammates,” Leffall said. “They were doing what they had to do, so it gave me the opportunity to hit big shots.”

Blackout then played I Work in the final game. Blackout player Chris Okoli penetrated to the basket and got to the free-throw line early.

Leffall’s shooting streak did not stop as he hit four three-pointers to put Blackout ahead 14-12.

I Work player Quentin Walker went on a 6-0 run to give his team an 18-14 edge.

With less than a minute to go, I Work led the game 19-18. Blackout held the ball for a late shot at the hoop. Okoli hit the fadeaway game-winner to put Blackout ahead 20-19 and win a spot in the district tournament.

“Oh, it felt good to hit the game-winner,” Okoli said. “I just felt like me and my boy Lafontaine had to step it up for the rest of the team. So we just went out there and played harder and came out with a win.”