Book Review-Being a teenager while crime fighting is not simple

JOSE ROMERO

Book cover courtesy of Titan Books
Miles Morales fights alongside Peter Parker as New York’s web-swinging masked
vigilantes. This book is the prequel to the 2018 “Marvel’s Spider-Man” video game.

Action, emotion and some good ol’ web- swinging is front and center in Brittney Mor- ris’ novel–not graphic novel–, “Marvel’s Spi- der-Man: Miles Morales – Wings of Fury.”

Wings of Fury is a prequel to the video- game, “Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales” and is set after the events of the 2018 game, “Marvel’s Spider-Man.” Spoilers ahead for the 2018 title.

The book primarily focuses on Miles Morales and his journey as he tries to hone in on his newfound spider powers. Miles’ adventure of self-discovery results in moments of reflection that develop him into a tangible character with believable motivations.

The story begins with Miles and his mom moving in with his grandma after the death of his father. He’s getting adjusted to a new life without his dad but also a new life as his alter- ego, “Spider-Man.” Miles wants to prove himself to Peter Parker, OG Spider-Man and now mentor, but seems to fail each time he sees an opportunity to prove his worth.

Each character is written with a depth that elevates them from the pages. Peter Park- er is perfectly captured with his usual witty humor that is juxtaposed with his sincerity.

Genke, Miles’ roommate and best friend, is another great addition to the story. His concern for Miles feels genuine, creating a heart- warming friendship between the two.

Miles’ anxiety, grief and humor create a charismatic protagonist that the reader can’t help but root for. I can’t help but think that the original creator of Miles Morales, Brian Michael Bendis, would be proud to see Morris’ portrayal of his character.

The dialogue between characters adds

another dimension of depth. Each conversation is grounded, hitting emotional beats when it needs to. The one-on-one chats be- tween Peter and Miles are highlights of the novel. It’s easy to see that Miles is trying hard to impress Peter, leading to his pride overtak- ing his judgment.

Wings of Fury isn’t afraid to get into some deeper issues. Miles is biracial–mixed African American and Puerto Rican–so his race is discussed quite a bit. At the start of the novel, he has an encounter with a shop owner that he’s trying to help but he’s then falsely seen as the criminal that robbed the store only because they “looked the same.” This event continuously replays in Miles’ head, leaving him questioning what it means to be a “black Spider-Man.” Miles dwells on that question because he knows that that’s something his mentor Peter can’t teach him.

Sometimes, the topic is dropped before it gets somewhere instead of taking the discussion further. I understand that race isn’t an easy topic to discuss, but I wish there were more moments for reflection.

Another negative attribute is that the novel relies too heavily on conveniences and coincidences, resulting in some sloppy writing at times.

Wings of Fury wasn’t the type of super- hero story that I was expecting. It’s a mix of action-packed setpieces and powerful charac- ter moments. It isn’t afraid to discuss controversial topics, even if it sometimes drops the discussion too early. Overall, it’s an exciting and emotional experience for readers inter- ested in g ight into Miles as a character.