Campus champs tip off for cup

By Drew Williams/sports editor

The best basketball players TCC has to offer are set to compete against each other this weekend.

The TCC District Cup intramural basketball tournament will be held in the South Campus gym April 1-2.

NE Campus, represented by Team Hernandez, and SE Campus, represented by iWork, determined their campus representatives through intramural seasons and campus tournaments. South will conclude its playoffs March 31 to decide who will play. But NW and TR campuses haven’t yet decided if they will field a team or not.

TR intramural director Nick Giovannitti said he is “90 percent sure” that his campus can assemble a team before April 1.

NW intramural directors Josh Tarbay and Ryan Stewart said they have done their best to get their campus’ intramurals up and running after original intramural director Joseph Maestas was out all semester with health problems. Still, the two aren’t sure if they will participate in the district tournament.

“The vibe I got from Ryan is that we will not be fielding a team for this year’s tourney,” Tarbay said.

Michael Daniels, intramural director on South Campus, said he hopes TR will participate in the tournament because he wants to see how much it has improved.

“Trinity put together a team last year for the first time, and they got tougher every game,” he said. “Trinity is the team I’m concerned about because now they know what to expect. I don’t think they won a game last year, so now they have something to prove.”

Daniels said the district tournament is one of his favorite intramural events.

“It’s always more competitive than the individual campus intramurals. Students want to win because they are representing their campus and they want the bragging rights,” he said. “They also get a trophy and a T-shirt if they win, but I think the bragging rights are more important to all of them.”

Trophies will be awarded to first, second and third places, but only the district champions will receive shirts.

Each team plays each other once, and the winner will be determined by its tournament record. The tiebreaker will be each team’s point differential, and each forfeit is scored as a 2-0 victory. So if TR or NW cannot field teams, it could impact the entire tournament.

The tournament kicks off at 3:30 p.m. April 1 with iWork taking on NW Campus’ representative and concludes at 2:30 p.m. April 2 with the NW team taking on the winner of South Campus’ playoffs.

For more information, contact Daniels at 817-515-4474.