Campus comes alive to celebrate day of the dead

November 13, 2019 | Samantha Petty  | reporter
Illustration by Christa Jarvis/The Collegian

Día de los Muertos is often identified by candy skulls, vibrant colors, parades, marigolds and unique face painting. The tradition and culture behind this celebration are much more than observations on the outside.

Students on SE Campus joined in on the festivities with its Día de los Muertos Celebration Oct. 31. Students, teachers and volunteers participated in altar building, dancing, crafts, raffle prizes and a historical presentation on the origin of this Hispanic tradition.

SE supplemental instruction coordinator Maria Delgado spoke on the importance of this event.

“Remembering our loved ones from the past guides our present and influence our future,” Delgado said.

Keynote speaker Jennifer L. Duffy, a teacher at Booker T. Washington High School in Dallas, spoke on the origins of Día de los Muertos and the importance of understanding traditions.

She described the main belief and purpose of this long-held tradition as when “the border between the spirit world and the real world dissolves.”

“I think a lot of times we don’t understand why we do some things or the culture that is behind it,” Duffy said. “A lot of people that celebrate Day of the Dead don’t know why they put pan de muerto on the altar or why they should have a certain color of the marigold flower. It is important to know the history behind it, to respect the ancestors and also to be aware of other cultures.”

The event included an altar contest where the first-place prize was $250, second-place was $150 and third-place was $100. Students came early to decorate personal altars to family members and famous people, such as Selena.

“Events like this are important to spread awareness of culture, to show people that don’t know or for people that are interested but don’t have access to the information of what Día de los Muertos is about,” SE student Casey Pagan said. “Also, it brings people together, and I think that is really important.”