Career coordinator urges readiness for coming semester, transferring

By Vijoleta Nikolic/reporter

Since deciding what to do and where to go after TCC can be tough and tedious, the South Campus career center coordinator helped students prepare for next semester and the necessary steps to transfer to a four-year university.Many students don’t know the difference between an Associate of Arts and an Associate of Applied Science degree, Miranda said. An A.A. is specifically designed for students transferring to a four-year university to continue studies for a bachelor’s degree. In contrast, the A.A.S. is a more skill-oriented technical degree.

“Regardless of your major, everyone needs to take their core classes,” she said. “What students don’t know is that when they pick their electives, they need to gear them toward their major.”

Area recruiters visit TCC and talk to students about their schools and the courses they offer. Miranda said students should visit with them and find out what courses would best suit their major and would transfer to that university.

Students should ask recruiters how much scholarship money they can get, what grants they can qualify for and what they must do to get a transfer scholarship, Miranda said.

“There is so much money out there,” she said. “You just have to look for it.”

Financial aid distribution and requirements are changing, Miranda said. 

“It used to be that you can come to TCC and get several associate degrees and anything you wanted,” she said. “It’s not like that anymore.”

Students are now allowed to take only 99 credit hours at TCC to remain covered by financial aid, Miranda said. She warned students not to waste their hours and financial aid on classes they might not need.

Miranda listed three steps for students to make sure they are prepared for next semester and a successful transfer: meet with their advisors regularly, make sure the courses they take will transfer and have some kind of degree plan.

Students need at least a rough idea of where they want to take their careers so they know what schools to look at and what courses to take, she said.