CD Review-System of a Down-Scars on Broadway

By Chris Webb/reporter

Despondent fans of System of a Down still waiting on the band to reunite need to perk up their ears.

“No, System of a Down is not breaking up. We are just gonna do like KISS and put out our own solo albums,” Daron Malakian, former (technically current) guitar virtuoso for System of a Down, said on Scars on Broadway’s official Web site.

Malakian has always been praised for his creative, trail blazing work on a fret board.

But he has diversified his talents with Scars on Broadway by not only producing the album but singing lead vocals, writing lyrics and playing lead guitar.

Scars on Broadway, the band, was originally the brainchild of Malakian, who intended to create the band with System’s drummer Shavo Odadjian.

But in the end, only John Dolmayan, System’s drummer, was involved in the project.

Fans of System of a Down will immediately identify with the chaotic, breakneck speed of Scars on Broadway’s riffs.

However, now that Malakian has full control of the microphone, the vocals are more structured while at the same time dishing out lyrics with more meanings than letters.

On the self-titled album Scars on Broadway, songs like “Insane” show just how dynamic this new force is.

Melodic choruses interjected with impressive guitar solos immediately shift to music and vocals a machine gun couldn’t spit out quicker.

Other songs like “Exploding/Reloading” allow Dolmayan to strut his stuff with some of the heaviest drumming two hands can accomplish.

Listeners who loved System for their politically charged attitude can still find the same sounds of activism on Scars on Broadway.

They just might have to listen a little harder. 

Although Serj Tankian’s new solo album has received much critical acclaim, Scars on Broadway’s sound and message feel more complete.

Let’s not forget Malakian was the one who originally formed System of a Down, naming it after one of his poems “Victims of the Down.”

Scars on Broadway isn’t System of a Down. It isn’t even rock or metal for that matter.

What Malakian has created doesn’t easily fit into a category.

However, anyone who likes music on the heavy side but still craves lyrics with meaning should check this crazy album out.