Celebrating all cultures // TCC invited to partake in cultural food and celebrations

United Dance Academy’s Samba troupe performs during the International Festival April 18. The performance focused on Rio de Janeiro’s Carnaval. Photos by Ariel DeSantiago/The Collegian
United Dance Academy’s Samba troupe performs during the International Festival April 18. The performance focused on Rio de Janeiro’s Carnaval.
Photos by Ariel DeSantiago/The Collegian

MAIYA STOVALL
reporter
collegian.editor@tccd.edu

The International Festival “Cultural Fusion” took place on NE Campus April 18 involving activities for students to learn about different cultures.

A fashion show by the Cultures of Other Languages Club showcased traditional fashion pieces of several different cultures around the world.

The outfits featured were cultural outfits from Mexico, Egypt, Kenya, Congo, Sudan, China, Nepal and Vietnam.

The show was followed by a performance and samba dance lesson taught by members of the United Dance Academy Samba based in Dallas.

The UDAS made a conga line that wrapped around the room, with students dancing to Brazilian music and even playing a game of limbo in the process.

UDAS members expressed how samba is not just dancing, but a sense of community and family. They discussed how many people came before them and sacrificed so much, including their lives, in order for them to be standing where they are today.

Drinks and Puerto Rican food were provided at this session by the Adobo Puerto Rican Cafe.

Another session taught the history behind Brazilian instruments, music and traditional dances.

Students were able to play Brazilian instruments and learn traditional dances. 

The dance lesson was based on the Brazilian capoeira dance style inspired by afro- diasporic dance.

NE student Genevieve Breuer gave her feedback on this session.

“I think it’s interesting to see and hear the different types of music and instruments from Brazilian culture as someone who is inexperienced,” she said.

NE student Doc Terry gave feedback after participating in the dance lesson and learning about some of the instruments.

“It’s very cool and now I feel like I want to go to Brazil,” he said.

One session was held in the food court of building NSTU that taught students about afrobeats and the cultural dance moves associated with this Nigerian music genre.

Students got to learn traditional dances associated with afrobeats and then got to dance in groups together to showcase what they learned in the end.

NE student Melissa Wippert said she thinks that cultural events like this are important.

“I think it’s important for us to learn about different cultures so we can better understand and vibe with people from different cultures and backgrounds,” she said.

This festival held three sessions that took place all in one day to teach students about different cultures.

All three of these sessions were open to everyone with two being held in Center Corner and one being held in the food court of NSTU.