Ceramics artist shows Japanese art on NE

By Ashley Bradley/reporter

Steven Branfman, potter, teacher and writer, will visit NE Campus Sept. 10-12 to lead a workshop teaching new techniques to use when firing pottery Raku-style.

Raku, a type of Japanese pottery, is traditionally characterized by hand molding of the clay as opposed to turning it on a potter’s wheel.

This results in each piece becoming one of a kind.

“Studio potters interested in learning alternative firing techniques would benefit from this workshop,” said Karmien Bowman, art associate professor.

Branfman was born in Los Angeles, grew up in New York and now resides 30 minutes outside of Boston. After graduating from the Rhode Island School of Design, he authored two books, Raku: A Practical Approach and The Potters Professional Handbook. 

Branfman now owns his own school, studio and artist workspace called The Potters Shop near his home in Boston.

His work has been seen in museums and galleries as well as in private and corporate collected works. 

Branfman has taught many workshops at colleges around the world in places including Honolulu, Toronto and Munich.

“Because he is internationally known,” Bowman said, “it was very hard and expensive to get him to come teach a workshop here.”

This TCC workshop, sponsored by student activities, will cost $150 and will include a free reception starting at 6 p.m. Sept. 10.

Demonstrations and firings will take place the next two days from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Fine Arts Building. On Friday, box lunches will be sold for $8.

Participants should bring three small, smooth, white Raku clay bisque pieces, should wear closed-toed shoes and bring their own gloves.

For more information, contact Bowman at 817-515-6693 or at karmien.bowman@tccd.edu.