Chaos at the Capitol

The Collegian staff reflects on the events of Jan. 6

Amber Davis/The Collegian

Michael Foster-Sanders, editor-in-chief: The morning of Jan. 6 I woke up to a series of text notifications from friends telling me to turn on my television to watch what was happening at the U.S. Capitol.

What I witnessed looked like it could’ve been a summer blockbuster movie, but it was reality. American-bred terrorists were storming the Capitol, which didn’t surprise me because peaceful protests on a national level warned that America had a problem with domestic terrorism, extremism and a lack of empathy for minority groups.

It was the flags and attire that some of these terrorists were flying and wearing. They were symbols of oppression and hate such as the Confederate flag, Nazi homage and bla- tantly antisemitic Camp Auschwitz sweaters that beared the motto “Work brings freedom.” And last but not least, Blue Lives Matter.

The kicker in this circus is that the terrorist attacked and murdered federal police officers nullifying the Blue Lives Matter tomfoolery showing that it was simply to try to silence the Black Lives Matter movement with its tone-deaf stance.

What the aftermath has shown of this farce is that fearmongering, false information and privilege that goes unchecked will become a ticking time bomb.

Alyson Oliver, editor: Initially, seeing the Capitol attack play out was frightening to me.

Even though I was already aware of the unrest, Jan. 6 stunk with hypocrisy and entitlement. It was a blatant demonstration of white privilege. The fact there weren’t more immediate repercussions for those rioters, as they disrupted democracy, is appalling.

If they had not been white, the outcome of that day would have been very different. How is it that Black Lives Matter protesters, raising their voices against the centuries long oppression of Black people and people of color, are condemned by those same people who were involved in the unjust Capitol attack? How is it that Trump could refer to BLM protesters as “thugs,” but then provoke and encourage the events of Jan. 6 because he lost a fair election? It is truly disgusting.

Jose Romero, editor: What happened at Capitol Hill was the best physical representation of the state America is in.

For a while now, everything has been in complete disarray with a lack of authority to control it. The president incited a riot and told his supporters that he would be right there with them. Well, he wasn’t, but what was there was a violent mob willing to do anything to stop Congress from certifying Biden’s victory. I don’t know how the mob thought that it would accomplish that, but having five people killed was probably not in the repertoire. This kind of behavior has been normalized for far too long so my guess is that nobody was expecting any kind of repercussions. Also, the fact that many weren’t wearing masks was the cherry on top.

Janine, reporter: In his farewell address, George Washington warned the nation of the dangers of partisan division, claiming that America would remain strongest when united.

Now, a little over two centuries later, we are witnessing the repercussions he warned us would occur. Law enforcement officers were caught taking photos with rioters, rioters were destroying property, and displaying aggressive behavior. People quickly remembered the treatment of Black Lives Matter protestors just a few months ago.

We witnessed many lives stripped away at the hands of law enforcement. The same people who were caught at the Capitol were condemning BLM protesters just a few months ago, claiming they were being “too violent.” The rioting at the Capitol only intensified my deep beliefs about extreme white privilege in America and how even in 2021, people are still being treated differently based on their race. If one thing is for sure, people’s true colors are showing more than ever.

Mary Maturo, editor: As a Jew, the Capitol attacks confirmed the fears of many in my community.

Anti-Semitism is more prevalent and accepted in this country than it has ever been. To see symbols of hate and oppression carried by terrorists through the halls of the most important building in America is an unimaginable reality.

What is more unimaginable is the fact that this was allowed to happen by those who were both elected and chosen to keep this country safe.

There is much blame to lodge here, but make no mistake, this will not end with a new president. From the perspective of a Jew, there are people on both sides who are complicit in this problem, and it should not have taken swastikas in the Senate for politicians to call out this hatred. The attacks have left me and our country shook, and I fear we may never recover.

Stayce Petties, editor: Centuries later and moving forward, racism still is the number one battle America has not fixed.

The attack on Capitol Hill raises so many frustrations of anger from the black communities all over the U.S. The events that took place at the Capitol show the struggle and the battle that we fight every day when it comes to race.

For Caucasian Americans to march into the Capitol forcefully, beat officers, disgrace and trash it without interference demonstrates how prominent white privilege is.

People say you know you have a right to protest and speak your mind with freedom of speech, and that is true, but when different races and cultures do it, it becomes a problem. For example, most of the people who stormed the Capitol, beating officers, trashing it and resulting in violence were a disgrace and were majority white people.

Some police officers instead of protecting, walked beside protesters and walked right in like keeping them out wasn’t their duty.

Then, you have the African Americans protesting for what they believe in, which they’ve been doing since the beginning of time. Violence and hatred were unleashed upon the Blacks even when unarmed. This is what needs to be fixed.

Logan Evans, editor: It was a chilling coda to the last four years. Images surfaced online as the tension was just beginning, pictures of smoke, crowds and ruin.

Already, the storming of the Capitol was burned into American history before the embers of unrest had truly erupted. The doors were breached by mid-afternoon and then we saw the worst of it. Broken glass, Congress members in hiding and symbols of white supremacy marched beneath the Capitol rotunda like a homecoming parade for ignorance.

On the surface, there was a finality to it; a boiling over of the meanness that had brewed through Trump’s presidency. Just as Trump lost his re-election, this mob was subdued in the end.

But as the dust settles and the culprits are identified, it’s becoming clear that they came from all over. Veterans, gang members, musicians and conspiracy theorists alike.

This meanness was deepened by the last four years, but it did not start with Trump. It will not suddenly end as he leaves office. This attack was a startling reminder of the progress we have yet to make.

Linda Puga, editor: The event that took place at the Capitol building was absolutely horrendous.

I genuinely hope there isn’t ever an event like this again. Our law enforcement could have and should have acted better than they did in the day’s events.

What we saw was a delayed response from security to get protesters to exit the building, as if they weren’t vandalizing one of the most important structures in our country. BLM protests and this riot are not even close to comparable, also knowing the president at the time had a part in this disgusting.