Communication skills key to success, faculty says

By Elyssa Whaley/reporter

Lisa Benedetti speaks to students on NE about communicating well.
Z. Poe Doyle/The Collegian

Communication is the key to unlocking the doors to a successful future, NE Campus students were told Sept. 28, and the key people with whom college students should communicate are their teachers.

Utilizing attendees’ real-life experiences and employing group interaction, Lisa Benedetti, NE communication arts chair, offered advice on Communicating with Faculty ranging from classroom etiquette to requesting letters of recommendation.

“I thought she was phenomenal,” said student Marge Churchville. “She answered a lot of questions before I could ask them.”

Benedetti offered tips for creating a professional relationship with faculty. She said students should introduce themselves and have a small conversation with their teachers.

In class, they should ask questions. More than likely, other students have the same questions, too. When students have problems, they need to find a way to communicate their feelings in a positive way, and they need to take responsibility for their own actions, Benedetti said.

Sometimes, she said, communication is best delayed.

“If you’re upset and writing an email, write it in a Word document and wait 24 hours before sending it,” she said. “Sometimes, email can’t resolve everything. Sometimes, it’s best to visit with professors personally to make a positive connection and resolve issues.”

When asking for help with scholarship or job applications, Benedetti said to go prepared.

“Baring in your résumé and the job description/application so the professor can have a better idea what to write for you,” she said.

Additionally, she said to let professors know what happened with the job or scholarship and write them a thank-you letter.

When it came to classroom etiquette, Benedetti said students should ask the professor if it’s OK to use electronic devices for note taking. Also, students need to put telephones on silent. It is not appropriate to text in class.

If faculty allow food in class, students should think of the potential food allergies classmates may have, Benedetti said.

If someone is a distraction, she also suggested quietly moving to another seat in the class. But, Benedetti said, all students should be considerate of faculty members and other classmates.

“The professors are here to help students realize their full potential, she said. “Seeing that students are making success is gratifying.”