Community market, food pantries helps students during pandemic

TCC fights student and community hunger with fresh food and other items that are donated at locations

Megan towery

The Collegian file photoTCC food pantries strive to assist students and surrounding coumminities where campuses are located.

TCC hosts food pantries on NE, South and TR campuses. The food pantry is closed this year because of COVID-19, but students can get the food they need at the annual Fresh Food Market.  

The fresh food market provides items like vegetables, canned food, cereal, candy, Lunchables, and chicken. 

Volunteer opportunities for these food services are available on the website, NE sociology instructor Cheryl North said.  

NE assistant professor of sociology said students have the opportunity to learn leadership skills, by volunteering at food pantries at  their TCC campus. 

“There are also leadership positions for the food pantries that are involved such as informing and answering questions that people might have about the food pantry,” she said. 

If students would like to be involved, but not take on leadership the pantry offers other positions such as emailing people about the food pantries, using social media to inform others of the food pantries, educating people about the food pantry and walking the new volunteers step by step on how to do their job. 

People can also volunteer to put food on the shelves and check expirations dates.  

Another opportunity is to become a partner agency, The few minimum requirements is serving one of the 13 county area served by Tarrant County food bank. Distributes food on the basic need or emergency.

The food bank has been helping people through COVID-19 by focusing on feeding the age groups that need it the most: seniors, kids, and the homeless. 

Since March 2020, the Tarrant County Food Bank distribution of food has increased by 65%.  

Every Friday from 8-11 a.m., the food bank hosts a Mega Mobile Market at the Herman Clark Stadium in Fort Worth to give away food at the drive-through. 

Every family receives 100 pounds of meat, dairy, and other foods. Pre-registration is not required. People can just drive up there and get their necessities. 

Students are able to access the food pantry at tafb.org to find more information about scheduling at specific locations, volunteering, and donating. 

A donation of one dollar can provide five meals. It is important to call a few hours beforehand to confirm those hours when visiting. The food bank also delivers.